Namibia Car rental
hire a car in Namibia
The Cardboard Box Travel Shop uses several reputable local and international car hire companies to supply our clients with rental vehicles. The overwhelming majority of vehicles are rented from Windhoek or Windhoek International Airport (as those are the main entry points to Namibia) but rentals are also available from other centers around the country including Swakopmund, Luderitz, Walvis Bay & Tsumeb (for those wishing to visit Etosha).
When deciding on which car to hire there are numerous factors you should take into account. Some things to think about are:
- The condition of the roads in Namibia; although many places are accessible with sedan cars for most of the year during the raining season many areas require a four wheel drive rental vehicle, or at least think about renting a vehicle with higher clearance.
- During summer, daytime temperatures throughout Namibia can be extreme so a rental vehicle with air conditioning is desirable
- How many people will be in the hire car? If you are carrying camping equipment you will probably need to upgrade to a bigger car. Overloading is one of the major reasons for accidents in Namibia
- Route planning is essential, Namibia is a big country and many tourists seriously underestimate the distances and times required to travel certain distances. We are always happy to offer suggestions on your route.
- We only broker deals with rental companies who are members of the Car Rental Association of Namibia (CARAN) and therefore adhere to stringent checks on the age & quality of vehicles.
- It is generally cheaper to rent a car from Windhoek, renting from other locations around Namibia incurs fairly hefty delivery fees (as most rental cars are based in Windhoek)
- Have a look at our driving tips
- One excellent way of covering yourself for all eventualities is to buy independent car hire excess insurance, this can be arranged though a variety of insurance companies and we recommend the policy offered by Worldwide Insurance
Which car to rent
Most places are reachable in a normal sedan vehicle, but the more remote areas, such as Kaokoland and Bushmanland, require four wheel drive vehicles. Generally it is advisable to rent the largest car you can afford as driving on Namibia's grave roads can be reasonably taxing and the additional stability and ground clearance offered by larger vehicles does make things safer and easier.
If you are driving in the wet season (from Nov - April) heavy rains can make some roads impassible for sedan & smaller vehicles - if you are travelling during this period you should seriously consider renting a 4x4.
Sedans, Minibusses & 4x4's
We have a wide range of vehicles available ranging from small sedans with no frills to large & robust four wheel drive vehicles. We're always happy to advise people on the best rental vehicle for their time in Namibia so if you have questions please email us.
To get a quote or confirm a booking on a variety of vehicles have a look at our online booking system
Nissan Double Cab 4x4 with camping equipment & roof tent(s)
Fully equipped vehicles are not bookable through the online system and can only be booked via email.
Manual - CD - AC - Power steering - Air Bags
A full set of camping equipment for 2 or 4 people
The rates quoted here are for new model vehicles - we can also supply older model vehicles at considerably lower rates please email us for more details
Rate for vehicle equipped for 4 people with 2 roof tents:
These rates are valid for car hire in Windhoek - if you are wanting fo collect the hire vehilce from somewhere else in Namibia - you will be charged an additional delivery fee.
Discoverer X 4x4
Campervans are not bookable through the online system and can only be booked via email.
A campervan equipped for 2 people
Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel, High/ low range, 175 lt fuel in two seperate tanks, Two spare wheels, 50 lt water tank, Radio/CD, Bench seat in cabin, Cabin air-conditioner, 60 lt fridge/ freezer, Chemical portable toilet, Outside shower with hot/cold water.
A campervan equipped for 4 people
Sleeps four adults, Iveco 35S14 - 2.3 lt 16V turbodiesel, 5-speed manual or automatic, 70 lt fuel tank, 50 lt water tank, Radio/CD, 80 lt fridge/ freezer, Microwave, Hot and cold water, 2 bucket seats in cabin, hand-held shower, Lockable safe, Cab & rear 220V air conditioner.
These rates are valid for vehicles rented in Windhoek - if you are wanting fo collect the vehilce elsewhere in Namibia - a delivery fee applies.
When renting a car you will be required to put down an excess deposit (deductible). This is your maximum liability in the event of anything happening to the car while you are hiring it. You will be required to pay for any damage, including tyre and windscreen, that occurs to the rental vehicle up to the excess amount (renting with zero excess negates the need to pay for damages).
The standard procedure for this deposit is as follows: The car hire company will gain an authorisation on your credit card. This is done by contacting the bank, to ensure you have sufficient funds to cover the deposit. A credit card transaction slip will be processed for the deposit amount, you will be required to sign this slip. In the case of the car being returned in good condition the authorisation will be cancelled and the credit card slip destroyed. If damage has been caused to the hire car you will be required to pay for this damage, the maximum extent of your liability will be the excess amount.
NB: If you are deemed to have been driving negligently you can become liable for the full cost of the damages (over & above the excess amount)
One excellent way of covering yourself for all eventualities is to buy independent car hire excess insurance, this can be arranged though a variety of insurance companies and we recommend the policy offered by Worldwide Insurance