Community Campsites - Namibia
This campsite is situated next to the Hoarusib River in Kaokoland. The camp includes four private secluded camping areas each with a flushing toilet and shower. The sites are well shaded from mature indigenous trees, and there is a bar with cool drinks. Guides can be arranged to the nearby Himba villages.
Why visit the Purros Campsite?
- Experience the vastness of Namibia's Kunene Region, including great game viewing opportunities in a natural rural setting away from national parks
What can you experience?
- View game - the Hoarusib dry riverbed is frequented by desert adapted elephant, giraffe, rhino, kudu, zebra, ostrich etc.
What facilities are available?
- Four secluded campsites (3/4 tents each) with braai area, tap and adjacent flush toilets and showers
- Bar with cool drinks
- Services of local guides
- Large shade trees
Nearby attractions include:
- Sesfontein (2-3 hrs)
- Purros Traditional Himba Village (15 min)
- Note: Access is by 4x4 due to sandy patches. No fuel facilities available at the campsite.
Where is it?
- 107 km north-west of the regional town of Sesfontein on the D3707 gravel road.
How do I get there?
- From the D3707 road, the campsite is situated 2 km north-east of Purros village on a single track. Look out for the signposts. Access is by 4 x 4 as the track has patches of very deep sand.
The only way to get a site is to arrange it on arrival at the campsite.
Community Tourism | Namibia
A tented camp on the banks of the Kunene River close to Epupa Falls and Himba settlements
A rustic option but closest situated to Epupa Falls, this site previously only provided campsites, but recently added rooms on stilts overlooking the river and falls
On the border between Kaokoland and Damaraland this fort was built at the same time as the fort of Namutoni in Etosha
On a hill above the Kunene river, the lodge has tremendous views of the surrounding area and looks towards the Epupa Falls
An excellent base from which to explore the Kaokoland area
n great lodge in a remote location on the banks of the Kunene River, for those interesting in birding, relaxing or river rafting this lodge is an absolute must. Undoubtedly one of our favourite out of the way lodges
A campsite near the village of Opuwo
One of the oldest lodges in the Kaokoland area, from here guest can visit Himba villages and other areas of interest in Kaokoland
Near the tiny settlement of Puros, this luxury lodge offers you the ability to search for the desert adapted elephants
On a hillside overlooking the Kunene River this small intimate camp offers accommodation for a maximum of 14 people.
A comfortable tented camp, on the banks of the Kunene River, close to the Epupa falls
On the outskirts of Opuwo with has beautiful views over Kaokoland -a real desert oasis
Up-market luxury safari camp in a spectacuar setting overlooking the Kunene River. A range of activities are included and a highlight is a visit to the local Himba community