Ai-Ais Hot Springs Resort
Fish River Canyon - Namibia
The recently re-furbished Ai-Ais Hot Springs Spa & Resort, (re-opened in August 2009) is at the southern end of the Fish River Canyon and offers an excellent place to relax in and around the thermal baths & heated swimming pool, especially after a hot, dusty day's drive or when completing The Fish River Hiking Trail. It is the ideal destination when heading towards South Africa, or northen-route to Sossusvlei and Windhoek, for individual travellers and families alike.
The resort is set at a sulphurous hot spring, which makes perfect sense as the name '/ai-/ais' means 'burning water' in the local Nama language. It indicates the extreme heat of the hot springs, which date back to 1850, when they were discovered by a Nama herder, searching for his lost sheep.
Ai-Ais Hot Springs Spa now forms part of the Ai-Ais / Richtersveld Transfrontier Park, and visitors can now cross from South Africa to Namibia, using the Sendelingsdrift border post from within the park. As this resort is a very popular holiday destination with families from both Namibia and South Africa, it is advisable to book well in advance.
As with all thermal springs, the water is supposed to have natural curative properties, and is especially beneficial for sufferers of rheumatism .For the more energetic, there are some enjoyable, but sometimes arduous walks into the canyon, especially pleasant in the late afternoon when the shadows are long, and the heat off the rocks contrast with the cool sand.
The improvements at Ai Ais include a brand new restaurant and bar, serving buffet meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, seating up to 100 visitors. Other facilities include a laundry and room service, secure parking and up-to-date disabled ramps into all buildings, including the rooms. Valuables can be locked up in the safe in the reception. Children of all ages are welcome, but parents must supervise their youngsters at all times, especially when in and around the thermal baths / swimming pools.
Accommodation is in 36 brand new double rooms and 7 premier chalets. 12 of the rooms have river views and the remaining 24 have mountain views. All of these rooms have been fitted in the new Spa complex and sit over the indoor thermal pool. So there is no excuse for not popping downstairs for a relaxing session in the pool, or to visit one of the treatment rooms for a body or head massage, to get rid of those unwanted aches and pains.
- The 12 river view rooms are equipped with an en-suite bathroom and bath, air-conditioning and a tea/coffee station.They also have the added facility of an outside shower!
- The 24 mountain view rooms have an en-suite bathroom with a shower, air-conditioning and a tea/coffee station.
- The 7 premier chalets are for families/groups and are equipped with an en-suite bathroom and air-conditioning. The 3 bedrooms, have either a ¾ size, 2 x queen, or 1 x king-size bed in each room.The self-catering kitchen is equipped with a refrigerator, 2 plate stove, microwave oven, kettle, pots/pans and plates/cutlery.An added attraction of these brand new chalets, is that there are 2 verandahs, with both river and mountain views!
The other main attraction at Ai-Ais (besides the indoor thermal pool) is the popular, but cooler outdoor pool. As the surrounding countryside is arid and rocky and in summertime temperatures soar, not only is a session in either pool beneficial to your health, it also helps you to keep cool. This is a perfect venue for chilling out and tables/chairs are provided.
Activities include walking trails up the ravine, the Fish River Canyon Hiking Trail and guided scenic excursions within the park.
An advantage when travelling in this part of the world, is the clear and open southern sky. It is great for star gazing, and the minimal reflections at night make it an ideal stopover for keen astronomers and enthusiasts alike.
The Ai-Ais area is also a geologists' dream - with rock formations dating back to millions of years. Visitors of all ages can enjoy some soul-searching walks in the surrounding areas of the camp, and they can also easily drive to the main Fish River Canyon look out point at Hobas for some fantastic views and photographic opportunities.
- Fish River Canyon
- As Ai-Ais is situated at the southern end of the Fish River Canyon; it is the ideal place from which to explore the canyon and visit the main viewpoint at Hobas
- The Fish River Canyon Hiking Trail starts from the main viewpoint near Hobas and ends at Ai-Ais, is a truly unique trail. It is approximately 80km long, and takes 4-5 days to complete. The park is open for these trails from May 1 to September 15 each year. A maximum of 30 persons per day are allowed into the canyon for hiking. Children under the age of 12 are not permitted.
Demand is high, so reservations should be made well in advance. Hikers must present a recent medical certificate of fitness within the preceding 40 days and complete an indemnity form, prior to commencing the trail. They are also advised to stay over at Hobas the night before the hike commences, although there is a shuttle service to Hobas from Ai-Ais for hikers only.
- Hot springs
- Built around the thermal springs - days can be spent relaxing in the spa water
The thermal hot springs of Ai-Ais lie in the southern part of the Fish River nature conservation area. It is best accessed via the B1. Near Grünau turn off on to the C10. Ai-Ais lies at the end of this gravel road (73 kilometers).
Accommodation and hot-springs at the southern end of the Fish River Canyon
Probably the most popular lodge in the area. Friendly staff, interesting rooms and an emphasis on growing all local produce make for a wonderful stay
The smaller sibling to the Canon Lodge & Village, this fun establishment boasts loads of character
Supposedly laid out like an African village - this tends to be second choice to the Lodge but still offers good value
On the edge of the canyon with stunning views
Campsite close to the main viewpoint over the Fish River Canyon
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.