near Windhoek- Namibia
Daan Viljoen Nature Reserve in the Khomas Hochland is Namibia's smallest game park. Nonetheless its convenient location to Windhoek (25km) has proved to be an ideal stopover for individual travellers, families and the business community alike. Visitors enjoy the tranquil 'close to the city' bush experience, an abundance of highland wildlife and the natural actions and rhythms of the dam.
The park and resort is open throughout the year from sunrise to sunset. One of Daan Viljoen's great attractions is that visitors are allowed to walk around the park (unlike Etosha and several other Namibian game parks where you are confined to your vehicle) and there are 2 well marked hiking trails. Mountain biking is also allowed and the park is a popular spot for Windhoek's mountian biking fraternity. There is also a small route for those wishing to do some game viewing from the comfort of their vehicles. Booking in advance, especially in the Namibian holiday season, is advised as residents from the capital city use Daan Viljoen as a welcome break and weekend retreat. Overnight visitors with reserved accommodation may enter up to midnight.
Facilities include a reception complete with an Internet café and Wi-Fi connection. Meals are served in both the Kraal Restaurant and the restaurant at the swimming pool. Both dining areas are wheelchair friendly. Food can be ordered from the 'a la carte' menus. Relax at the restaurant pool-side patio lounges and cool off in either the adult or children's swimming pools. Safe parking, 24hr security, a laundry and room service are provided and a cot, baby beds and high chair are available for families with younger children.
The kiosk, which resembles on old farmhouse, enables guests to stock up for their visit or for their onward journey through Namibia. Beer, wine, ice, fire wood, meat and groceries can be purchased. There are 2 conference centres (30 delegates per room) and 1 of them doubles up as a function room. Up to 300 guests can enjoy that wedding, birthday or anniversary at Daan Viljoen.
Accommodation is 17 chalets. En-suite bathrooms, a queen-sized bed, flat screen TV with hotel package DSTV satellite channels, fan, mini-bar, tea/coffee station, in-room safe, telephone and cutlery are standard. Wi-fi is free in all of the chalets. Insect repellents are supplied. Guests can braai and enjoy their meal on a private patio. All chalets are non-smoking and some of them are wheelchair friendly. Some of the chalets can accommodate 3 persons with an extra sleeper couch for a family with one child.There are no large predators in Daan Viljoen nature reserve but oryx, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, klipspringer, steenbok, zebra, impala, giraffe and kudu roam freely.
With some 200 species of Namibian birdlife recorded here, Daan Viljoen Nature Reserve is a popular birding destination. Several of Namibia's specials such as the rockrunner, white-tailed shrike, Monteiro's hornbill, Bradfield’s Swift, Rüppell's parrot and Carp's tit can be observed.
- Game drives
- A leisurely self-drive around the Daan Viljoen's game viewing trail will enable you to get the most from your excursion. Always look deep into the bush and watch for any unusual movements. Game drives from the lodge can also be organized.
- There are 2 hiking trails available. A short 1.5km route and for the more energetic a 9km trail.
- Follow a trail around the dam with your bird book and binoculars close at hand.
- Mountain biking
- There are a number of biking trails that start and end from the lodge. Bring your own mountain bikes or hire a set of wheels from the lodge.
- Enjoy light refreshments as the sun sets with views over Daan Viljoen and Windhoek.
on a privately owned game farm
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve
leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
just opposite the Windhoek International Airport
full spa with some of the top game viewing in central Namibia
offers fishing opportunities as close to Friedendau dam
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swiming pools, this is a good family lodge
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.