Caprivi Strip - Namibia
Camp Kwando is situated 25km south of the village of Kongola, which is approximately 125km west of Katima Mulilo and 400km east of Rundu. This delightful and popular camp is set on the banks of the River Kwando and is the perfect base to explore Mudumu and Mamili National Parks, Victoria Falls and Bwabwata National Park. It is also the ideal destination to unwind after a period of intensive travel.
The main building consists of a large thatched lapa, decorated with African artifacts. Relax and unwind in the spacious lounge on the comfortable leather sofa's chairs. The open-sided dining area overlooks the river and crocs and hippo can often be seen. There is a bar, Internet connection, secure parking and locally made arts and crafts can be bought from the curio shop. Tea/coffee is available throughout the day.
Electricity is supplied from a generator at key times, and the bathrooms are lit by paraffin lamps. The swimming pool is a great place to take it easy after a game drive or boat swamp trip. There are sun-shades and umbrellas as well as a thatched chill-out zone to escape the hot afternoon sun.
Guests enjoy a hearty Camp Kwando buffet breakfast before joining the morning's activities; there are 12 options available! A light lunch of asparagus soup or quiche can be ordered on your return. The evening meal usually consists of a selection of game meats and the fresh vegetables are grown in their very own herb and vegetable garden. To finish off your 3 course dinner, how's about a dish of home-made ice-cream?Accommodation is in either single or double thatched roof island tents or single or double tree houses:
- Thatched Roof Island tents: Each of the 12 tents is equipped with 2 beds fitted with mosquito nets. One of these tents is a family unit. En-suite open-sky bathrooms with shower, toilet and basin (hot and cold running water), mosquito nets and an in-room safe are standard. The tents are built on poles with a terrace overlooking the river; anglers can fish the river from here.
- Tree Houses: The six Tree Houses are thatched roof bungalows built on stiltz. The very spacious rooms have big en-suite bathrooms with shower, toilet and basin and a large terrace with a great view of the plains. These rooms are equipped with ceiling fans.
Power at Camp Kwando is provided by generator and as such is not always available.
- Boat trips on the Kwando River
- The lodge has its own flat bottom aluminium boat complete with canvas roof for protection against the sun. There is also a tender for smaller parties and fishing trips. Game drives leave early morning or late afternoon, not only ideal for high density wildlife activity, bit also to make the best possible use of light for photography.
- Game drives
- Specially equipped 10 seater Land Rovers leave early morning and late afternoon, usually to Mudumu Game Park, and include a drinks/snacks break.
- of 2 days or more to Bwabwata National Park and Mamili National Park can be organised. Due to the nature of the terrain and National Park rules, these exciting expeditions require 2 vehicles and nights are spent camping in the bush! Mamili is especially wild and remote, with the priority on encountering wildlife!
- Visit a traditional village
- Next to Camp Kwando is a village where most of their staff live. The inhabitants have created a 'Traditional Village', where presentations of various fishing and hunting techniques are shown, as well as aspects of every day life. During this visit, the village 'Medicine Man' performs his one-man 'see how different dances were used against various illnesses or to cure other problems' show!
- School visits
- There are 2 local schools bordering the lodge grounds. Support for these trips through tourism, allows Kwando Camp to maintain their impetus on the level and maintenance of quality teaching. Fees paid for these visits is re-injected directly back into schooling material. This project is closely monitored by Kwando Camp, who carefully track all donations.
- Fishing trips
- There is enough fishing tackle for groups of 4 to angle on the Kwando River. Their chef is only too pleased to prepare your catch for supper. The more adventurous might like to attempt netting a tiger fish; these have been known to weight up to 8 pounds in these waters!
- The Caprivi is home to over 400 wetland and woodland bird species including African finfoot, white-backed heron, swamp boubou and Schalow's turaco. Pel's fishing owl can be observed here as can slaty egret, coppery-tailed coucal, copper sunbird, rosy-throated longclaw, African skimmer and Souza's shrike. During the breeding season, large flocks of Carmine bee-eaters frequent the area.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Mamili & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic, the food awesome and the situation idyllic - resulting in some of the best value for money accommodation in Namibia
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi River on an adventurous houseboat holiday
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain's from its situation in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
This is the only place in the world where four countries meet. A wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A self catering family oriented lodge which offers excellent fishing opportunities
Traditionally one of the east Caprivi's most popular lodges has recently been re-opened
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
Brand new lodge in east Caprivi - ideal for exploring the wetlands of the Mamili National Park
situated on three small islands this is an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing expereinces on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
Close to the town of Katima Mulilo in the east Caprivi
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.