Lodges near Sossusvlei - Namibia
Desert Camp is situated on the 40,000ha Taleni Africa private reserve. Wild and dangerous animals roam freely around the reserve and may be encountered at any time. It is only four kilometres away from Sossusvlei Lodge, which is by the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. (Namib Naukluft Park.) It is an ideal destination for tourists who want to self-cater amongst the more expensive lodges of the area, and to self-drive into the dunes of one of Namibia's most famous tourist attractions, the sand dunes of Sossusvlei.
The camp itself nestles under centuries old camel thorn trees, and has a 360° view over the surrounding desert landscape and mountains. The impressive dunes of the Namib Desert are never far away at Desert Camp.
In the central communal area, there is a reception, bar, swimming pool, a shared 'Boma' and public toilets. The lodge is wheelchair friendly. All guests must report to reception on arrival. Meal packs, booking meals at the nearby Sossusvlei Lodge, firewood/firelighters, eating and cooking utensils can be obtained here if required. Although Desert Camp does not currently have an internet connection, emails can be handled at the nearby Sossusvlei Lodge.
There are 20 self-catering accommodation units, sited either side of the communal area. They are equipped with twin beds, a kitchen sink for washing up, an under the counter bar fridge, and a 2 plate stove. Each unit has power points for hairdryers and shavers, (220V) as well as an external power point. A maximum of 2 adults and 2 children, under 12 yrs of age, are permitted per unit. They have their own braai and outdoor seating area, and individual vehicle parking outside the front door.
Guests of Desert Camp can hire a storage box. It has eating utensils for a maximum of 4 people and a selection of other cooking utensils may be hired from reception. (A deposit is required.)
A starter packs comprise of a selection of meat, vegetables, salads, bread, condiments, cheese and beverages. They must be ordered from reception before 18h00 the previous evening, for collection the following day.
Sossusvlei Desert Camp has its own walking trail. Trekkers are advised to only follow this route, (which starts at the main parking area) and to avoid contact with wild animals, snakes, scorpions etc.
Guided activities are only available from Sossusvlei Lodge
- It is perfectly safe to walk freely around Sossusvlei Desert Lodge, provided that contact with wild animals, snakes, scorpions and other reptiles is avoided.
- Sossusvlei Excursions
- An early start from the Lodge to enter the Namib-Naukluft Park at sunrise, while the temperature is still mild and when the dune contrasts are at their best. You will travel in one of our all-terrain URI Game viewer vehicles, custom-built in Namibia for the Lodge, with your own specially trained guide who will share all his knowledge of the area, the animals, the plant life and much more with you. Regular stops are made on the ±60 kilometre drive down to the Vlei to gain information or take in the vistas. At Dune 45, the more energetic have the opportunity to climb to the upper ridge of the world's most photographed dune. Further along, a gradual 2,6 kilometre round-trip walk up to Dead Vlei is a must for the healthy visitors. Spend time in Sossusvlei before returning to the Lodge approximately 5 hours later in time for luncheon. Refreshments are provided on the trip.
- Nature Drives
- Guided nature drives in our comfortable all-terrain URI Game viewer vehicles on the 44 000 hectare expanse that make up our private reserve. You will experience a relaxing drive through pristine nature where Oryx and springbok wander freely on the property. Spectacular photographs present themselves at every turn during this excursion of approximately 4 hours. Refreshments are provided.
- Depart from Sossusvlei Lodge in the late afternoon on a leisurely drive out onto the Lodge's private reserve. Watch the shadows lengthen as your guide takes you out to a panoramic location where sundowner drinks will be served as you relax and watch the spectacular sunset.
- Eco-Quad Biking
- A wonderful and different way to view the local surrounds. Exhilarating yet eco-friendly, the fixed quad biking trials have been meticulously laid out on the Lodge's private reserve so as not to interfere with the indigenous plant and animal life. Visitors follow the guide and may not deviate off the trails.
- Quad Bike Breakfast Run
- is for the person who wants to experience something different and is specifically geared towards those who still want to travel on to their next destination the same day. Currently, the sun rises at ±06H00, therefore this trip starts at 05H45. It follows the shortest route on easy terrain to the Tsauchab River and arrives at the destination in time to watch the sunrise. Once there, your Guide unpacks the picnic basket and sets a 'table' (of petrified mud which resembles a flat table top and even offers 'seats' too). This breakfast location is stunning with a 360° view of the rising sun over the mountains, on the dunes, on the golden grass plains and on the mountains... simply breathtaking! On completion of the breakfast, bikers follow a slightly different direct route back to the Lodge over easy terrain.
- Desert Scenic Flights
- a Cessna 210 light aircraft is permanently based on the Sossusvlei Lodge property along with an experienced pilot who also doubles as a trained "aerial" desert guide. A number of routes are available on request and include 40 minute trips to Sossusvlei and longer round-trip flights down to the coast. The latter excursion provides wonderful aerial photographs of the desert with its 'sea of dunes' as well as unforgettable views of the numerous shipwrecks along the "Skeleton Coast" of Namibia.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Sesriem is situated at the intersection of the C27 road from Helmeringhausen and the D826 which brings traffic in from Solitaire in the north and Maltahöhe in the south when it joins with the C19. The entrance gate to Desert Camp is located on the left hand side of the D826 road, ±8 kilometres from the T-junction intersection with the C19.
Offering a choice of rooms or campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both large bus groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
Closest to the dunes - camping only
Brand new luxury camp inside the Namib Park borders
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and private butler
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private verandah's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.