Dornhugel Guest Farm
Lodge accommodation close to Grootfontein - Namibia
Situated 42 km north east of Grootfontein, Dornhügel Guest Farm is an ideal base from which to explore the unspoilt Bushmanland, Caprivi Strip and Etosha. A cattle farm that has belonged to the Beyer family since 1908, hosts Max and Irmgard Beyer provide undivided personal attention to their guests.
Sit back and relax whilst watching a spectacular sunset in the spacious slate Lapa or take a moonlit dip in the pool. Facilities include a library/video theatre, tennis court, open-air chess, target shooting (air gun or cross bow), croquet, telescope and lectures on Namibian farming.
Wine and dine to delicious home-reared farm fare, featuring game specialties and locally grown vegetables. All served in their comfortable restaurant or outside on the patio. Most dairy products are home-produced and bread and cakes are baked on the premises! Meals can be served with a selection of South African wines.
Dornhügel Guest Farm offers comfortable en-suite accommodation. They have 2 single and 3 double en-suite rooms only, all fitted with a ceiling fan and mosquito nets. Additional children's beds can be provided on request.
Enjoy the authentic working farm experience at the farm or explore the diverse surrounding bushveld on a Basutu pony riding trip. Game-drive in open vehicles, hike on marked tracks or view from the local flora and fauna from raised hides. The South African hedgehog, black-backed jackal, bat-eared fox, honey badger, striped polecat, African civet, yellow mongoose, aardwolf, banded mongoose and a selection of antelope, plus more than 100 different varieties of birds and a large variety of insects and reptiles can be seen in and around Dornhugel Guest Farm.
Within 2 hrs drive is a large private game reserve (including elephants), the Grootfontein museum, and Tsumeb mine museum and Cultural Village, Hoba Meteorite (the largest metallic meteorite in the world) or the JU/Hoansi san village.
- Game drives
- A guided tour around the farm in search of the many species of game and bird conducted in open 4x4 vehicles.
- There are several raised hides/blinds to observe unsuspecting game and birds.
- Unguided Hiking
- A number of marked trails around the farm offer numerous photographic opportunities as well.
- Enjoy refreshments at sunset as game species approach the waterhole for their sundowner.
- Interesting talks by the owners will explain various farming techniques and their uses in cattle, sheep and horse breeding
- Donkey cart rides
- Dornhugel will harness the donkeys and take you on a fun trip for all the family around the farm.
- Swimming pool, table tennis, pool and darts. There is also a tennis court and a couple of bikes.
Situated north-east of Grootfontein this serves as an gateway between the Caprivi and central Namibia
Ten kilometers outside of Otavi this lodge offers a realxing environment and is ideal for walkers, wildlife enthusiasts and birders
Initially a christian mission station this property was converted into a lodge in 1999. The Ghaub caves nearby are well worth a visit
Horse riding, game and beautiful surroundings are just some of the reasons to stay at this lodge
A convenient stop close to Otavi
Large resort offering a restaurant, bar and olympic sized pool in Tsumeb
Situated near the centre of Tsumeb this is a popular hotel.
A courtyard atmosphere, traditional garden and German cuisine can be found at this Tsumeb hotel.
Close encounters of the wild side - experience the Namibian veld on foot with Bruno, an enigmatic & knowledgeable guide
10 peaceful chalets provide accommodation at this lodge just north of Otavi
An eclectic lodge, allows for visits to a San community as well as offering reasonably priced overnight accommodation
Situated 20km west of Tsumeb
Between Otavi and Tsumeb.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.