Epako Game Lodge
Lodges in central Namibia
Epako Game Farm is located in a 11,000ha private reserve, near the town of Omaruru in Namibia. Set in a beautiful mountainous region on the outskirts of the renowned Damaraland, it is conveniently placed midway between Windhoek, Swakopmund and the Etosha National Park.
Epako is a Herero word meaning 'the corner in a mountain range,' as the lodge nestles against a hillside, overlooking the Epako River. It is surrounded by dense African bush, home to a wide variety of animals, including cheetah, leopard, giraffe, elephant, rhino, zebra, springbok, blesbok, waterbuck, impala, warthog eland, oryx, kudu and wildebeest. Many of these beasts visit a number of nearby waterholes, an ideal opportunity to get out the binoculars and camera's.
The farm is also home to numerous bird species, such as the yellow billed hornbill, the colourful lilac breasted roller and crimson bou bou. At least 170 other varieties have been spotted in and around the lodge.
Amenities at Epako Game Farm include a dining room that overlooks a spotlit waterhole, bar and lounge with satellite TV, swimming pool, Internet facilities, tennis courts, souvenir shop, table-tennis and a small aviary. There are also large gardens, connected with walkways, to relax and unwind in.
Meals can be served in either the inside or outside dining areas. Their chef's will prepare a combination of Namibian and French cuisine, with a range of specially selected South African wines, to compliment the dining. Special dietary requirements can be met on request.
The Conference Centre is separate from the main lodge, with spacious indoor and outdoor seating areas. Not only is it the perfect venue for conferences, but Epako can organize special events, such as weddings, business or private family functions.
Accommodation is in 24 rooms, 4 have large beds, 1 with 1 large and 1 single bed , 16 rooms with twin beds, 2 rooms with twin beds and 1 communicating room with a single bed . All of the rooms have en-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning, mini-bar, satellite TV system, telephone and a private terrace, overlooking the gardens or Namibian bush.
Activities include morning and afternoon safari game drives, scheduled cheetah feeding, hiking trails, a visit to San paintings and engravings, and information and trips to interesting geological formations. Sundowner drives with breathtaking views of Brandberg and Spitzkoppe, can also be organized on request.
- Game Drives
- Guides specialising in game, birds, fauna and flora, geological formations lead you on a three hour game dive.
Morning: 8h00 or 8h30 - Enjoy the morning looking out for animals and visiting the vivid Bushman paintings and Engravings at the back of the farm.
Afternoon: 3h30 or 4h30 - Experience Cheetah and Caracal feeding, spot the white Rhinos, look for animals in the riverbed and finally enjoy a sundowner on one of Epako's mountains.
- Hiking Trails
- For guests staying a minimum of 2 nights get close to nature with a hiking trail on top of the mountains led by our well-trained Herero Field Guides. The walk is about 7 kilometres and well-worth it with fabulous views over the African bush and a brunch of top of the mountain. Bushman paintings & Engravings:
- Bushamn Art
- Epako Game Lodge is fortunate to have both Bushman paintings and Engravings within its boundaries. Based on other sites in the area, the age of the Engravings can be assumed to be between 800 and 3000 years old and the paintings to be at least 1000 years old. Learn more about the San (Bushmen).
- Interesting Rock Formations
- At various places at Epako the rocks have striped, snakelike and wavelike formations caused by geological action. The region is characterised by layers of harder and softer rock. Pressurised over time these layers have folded into interesting shapes, which when exposed to the atmosphere have eroded differentially forming these interesting patterns.
Nestled in a conservation area in the majestic Erongo Mountains this property contains a wide selection of rock art
a 24 room lodge in the Erongo region of central Namibia
One of our favourite lodges in Namibia - excellent accommodation, food and beautiful surroundings make for an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
A variety of activities are on offer at this lodge near Karibib
Situated at the foot of the Hohenstein mountain, this lodge offers many hiking and climbing opportunities. It is also well situated to visit the Spitzkoppe Mountain.
Accommodation in the small town of Omaruru.
Specialising in family holidays and horse riding, Okomitundu offers plenty of activities
A self catering villa in the heart of the charming town of Omaruru
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.