Etosha Safari Lodge
Etosha - Namibia
Etosha Safari Lodge is set on a hillock only 9km away from the Andersson Gate entrance into Etosha National Park. The closeness to the world famous park makes the lodge an ideal base, especially for those on a self drive holiday in Namibia, who wish to safari into Etosha without actually staying in the park itself. Travellers who do not want to drive into the park themselves can join one of the lodge’s (half or full day) trips. They offer friendly service in a value for money destination, often used by larger groups. A sister property Etosha Safari Camp is only 1.6km away.
There are many interpretations of the name Etosha; a not so well-known one is 'to run faltering across' illustrating the fatigue an early hunter felt when he attempted to cross the pan. Etosha has close on 114 species of mammal roaming, grazing, prowling, sleeping and sometimes fighting in and around the pan. In the rainy season (October-April) animals seldom visit the waterholes along the more popular tourist routes, but it is also the time to view many young animals, since it is the lambing and calving season. This is also a good time for predators after a snack. Large herds of game can be viewed on the grass plains west of Okaukuejo and around Fisher's Pan, near Namutoni, the huge concentrations are a defense strategy against relatively high levels of predators.
The main building at Etosha Safari Lodge houses a restaurant and a bar, guest lounge and there are 3 swimming pools to escape from the hot, afternoon Namibian sun. One of these pools can be booked for private use. There is also a laundry service and secure parking for the lodge's guests and valuables can be secured at reception.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served buffet style and the evening meal often has a variety of game meats. There is a range of South African wines and local beers to compliment your meal.
Accommodation at Etosha Safari Lodge is in chalets or family rooms:
- Standard Chalets: 60 single/double chalets are each unit equipped with an en-suite bathroom, twin beds, air-conditioning, a fan, mosquito nets, a tea/coffee station and a private verandah with great views of the surrounding environment.
- Standard Family Rooms: 5 standard family rooms with similar facilities to the twin chalets.
- Etosha Park
- drive yourself into the Etosha Park and spend the day visiting the numerous waterholes in search of game
- Guided Game Drives
- Activities centre around half or full day excursions into Etosha National Park. Lion and hyena will have to be searched for and Etosha also contains endangered black rhino and the unusual black-faced impala. A wide variety of plains game can be viewed, including zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, springbok, impala and eland; these abound in great numbers. Herds of 50 elephant or more are not uncommon, and it is not unusual for them to hold up any traffic as they amble down the middle of the road, allowing fantastic photographic opportunities, not to mention one helluva thrill!
- Ornithologists can expect to be well entertained, there have been some 340 different species of birdlife recorded in and around the park.
A mid market lodge, situated on the Ongava Private Reserve, very close to the main, Andersson, entrance to Etosha Park
On a small hill on the extreme western side of Etosha - Dolomite is the newest (and fifth camp) to open within the park boundaries. It is a smaller lodge as opposed to the traditional resort feel of the other camps within the park
Value for money accommodation in a well designed tented camp
Traditional slightly formal up-market lodge. Situated on same property as Eagle Tented Camp
Only 10km's from the park, Etosha Safari Camp offers good quality budget accommodation
Within 10km of the Etosha entrance this mid-range lodge offers an ideal base from which to explore the park
40 Room lodge only 4km from the park. Offers self catering units and a restaurant
Situated just north of the town of Outjo around 90km south of the Park
One of the five camps situated inside the park, generally less popular with visitors than Okaukuejo or Namutoni but has the advantage of a secluded quiet spot lit waterhole
On the far western edge of the park, just outside the Galton Gate, this is an excellent location to explore Etosha, Damaraland and the remote Kaokoland area
Luxury accommodation, each unit with private pool, great place to spoil yourself. Guided tours on private nature reserve and inside Etosha Park
Value for money self drive option situated 32km from the park
Accommodation in permanently erected tents, 14km south of the park
Extremely popular and busy accommodation inside the park with a good spot-lit waterhole, great choice if location is deciding factor on where to stay
A brand new campsite inside Etosha Park. No accommodation is available here and this only caters for self-sufficient campers. A highlight of the camp is the unique hide which overlooks the camps waterhole
Upmarket accommodation, situated on private game reserve with easy access to the National Park
On the same property as Ongava Lodge, but offering a more traditional tented safari style experience
Once called Etosha Gateway lodge this is a budget accommodation option which has recently been renovated.
This small family owned and managed guest farm is situated in easy driving distance of Etosha. The tranquil gardens and homely atmosphere make for a relaxed stay far from the crowds of the more commercial lodges
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.