Near Karibib - Namibia
Situated in the 12,000ha Etusis Nature Reserve, and just over 2 hrs drive from Windhoek, and on the route to Swakopmund lies Etusis Lodge. This pleasant and picturesque establishment is an ideal location for a first stopover, once out of the capital city. There is a wide variety of wild animals, plants and minerals to be observed and photographed here.
Both sides of the farm house have a terrace; ideal spots to read, or to simply admire the marvelous views of the Kudu Mountains, Coma Highlands and the Otjipatera mountain massif to the north. Meals can be enjoyed in the restaurant or on the lodge terrace and as you might expect from a lodge in a farm setting much of the food at Etusis is home grown. Meat & dairy is sourced from the farms own cows while game is provided by a neighbouring game farm, vegetables are grown on the property and fresh bread is baked daily. The bar, terrace & open fire pit are also popular places to enjoy a drink, share the days experiences and socialise with other guests.
Etusis Lodge offer four types of accommodation.
- Bungalows: 7 stone and thatch bungalows all well-spaced for privacy with private en-suite bathroom, tea/coffee station, mini-bar and cooling fan. Sleeping up to four on either 2 twin beds downstairs and 2 single beds in the upstairs loft, they are an ideal hideaway for the kids.
- Canvas tents: 5 Meru-style tents also well-spaced and include a power point. Three have their own private shower while the other two share a communal bathroom.
- The Farmhouse: The farmhouse sleeps between 2-7 people and is equipped with self-catering facilities. There are 4 bedrooms (3 doubles with en-suite bathrooms and 1 single, all sharing a bathroom), a kitchen and a lounge.
- Etusis Wildschutzgebiet: The farmhouse has the option of 1, 2, 3 or 4 bedrooms. There is a sitting room, dining room, large kitchen/living room with cooker, fridge, pantry and 4 baths. Although the farmhouse is self-sufficient, guests are more than welcome to relax and/or dine in the nearby lodge. (Only 400 meters away.)
There are many activities and pursuits to partake in at Etusis Lodge, including hiking on marked tracks into the mountains, rock climbing, collecting minerals, kite flying, table-tennis, mountain biking, game drives on horseback and horse carriage riding trips.
Some of the hiking trails are for the more experienced athlete and packed lunches, sufficient water and a radio telephone are recommended supplies. It is an excellent opportunity for gaming viewing though.
There are also 4x4 game drives, scenic flights (from their own landing strip,) and star-gazing through a telescope. Alternately, guests can just take a dip in the pool!
Etusis Lodge is a HAN multi Golden Award for Excellence winner.
- An exciting and adventurous way to enjoy the Erongo countryside is by horseback. Etusis Lodge hold a selection of horse breeds, including Basuto pony, to suit all standards. Trails take you along the river bed following the footprints of other animals as well as into the mountains on well-travelled riding routes. Canter along the plains or through the soft sand of a dry river bank until you reach the refreshing sight of a cascading waterfall. There are sufficient vantage points to enjoy the stunning landscape whilst resting the horses at the same time.
- Interesting information on rock formations and minerals are available. There are numerous geological attractions in the vicinity for the curious and collectors alike.
- Hiking trails
- There are 4 recognized trails in the Etusis Lodge Reserve. They are:
- Trail no 1: A 30km long day hike designed for the experienced walker. Take a packed lunch, drinks and a radio. Keys to a shelter are supplied. Many bird and antelope species can be observed throughout the day.
- Trail no 2: Another day hike of 20km length. Opportunities to view game and bird present themselves along the way. A packed lunch, drinks and a radio need to be taken along with the keys to a shelter.
- Trail no 3: A 15km hike over the mountains and through a pass. Photograph the scenery and wildlife en-route. Drinks, a packed lunch and a radio are required.
- Trail no 4: A climb (almost) to the 2,000m high peak of the massif Otjipatera. Ascent time 5 to 6hrs, descent time 4 to 5hrs. In addition to the safety equipment and rations, extra warm clothing such as gloves and a woolly hat should be taken.
Nestled in a conservation area in the majestic Erongo Mountains this property contains a wide selection of rock art
a 24 room lodge in the Erongo region of central Namibia
One of our favourite lodges in Namibia - excellent accommodation, food and beautiful surroundings make for an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
A variety of activities are on offer at this lodge near Karibib
Situated at the foot of the Hohenstein mountain, this lodge offers many hiking and climbing opportunities. It is also well situated to visit the Spitzkoppe Mountain.
Accommodation in the small town of Omaruru.
Specialising in family holidays and horse riding, Okomitundu offers plenty of activities
A self catering villa in the heart of the charming town of Omaruru
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.