Fish River Lodge
Fish River Canyon - Southern Namibia
Fish River Lodge is set in 45,000ha of ancient Kokerbome trees, in the Canyon Nature Park. It is the only lodge perched directly on the rim of Fish River Canyon, the world's second largest canyon, and includes 60kms of river frontage.
The lodge is a partner in the Association for the Greater Fish River Complex, an organization that aims to co-manage the Greater Fish River Canyon Complex, for greater landscape and biodiversity conservation, as well as social economic developments.
The main lodge area is tastefully furnished with locally handcrafted tables, and there is a blend of old and new furnishings with many of the accessories having been made by indigenous San and Nama communities. There is a huge 4m 'songololo' (millipede) leather couch, which takes pride of place on the eastern wing of the building, overlooking the canyon, to stretch out and relax on.
Home-cooked food is served in front of crackling fires in the winter, and sundowners and romantic candlelit dinners can be enjoyed on the deck, as the full moon rises. There is also a curio shop, selling a variety of local Namibian arts and crafts. The charcoal lap pool in front of the indoor/outdoor bar area, overlooks the Canyon, and is ideal for cooling off on warmer days. A craft shop and library are also available. Electricity is supplied through a combination of generator and solar energy and there are power points around the lodge including the rooms, to charge cell-phones and camera batteries.
From the comfort of your bed at Fish River Lodge, you can enjoy spectacular views of the canyon, from sunrise to sunset. Accommodation is in 20 comfortable and spacious en-suite chalets, set apart for maximum privacy and with breathtaking views to the east, directly over the Canyon and beyond. They are built from dry-packed stone walls, with large windows allowing in maximum light. Furnishings are simple but comfortable and each chalet has a fan, separate shower, double basins and toilet. The outdoor showers overlook a small rock garden, again with fantastic views, and are a great spot to cool down 'under the stars' after a dusty day's activities or drive. The outside sleeping areas, ideal for those breezy, cross-wind, summer nights, can be used to count the stars, (instead of sheep) as one drifts off to sleep.
Activities for the more energetic at Fish River Lodge include 1-5 day walks into and along the rim of the Canyon. There are morning and afternoon scenic drives and sundowner trails, where you can watch the sun set, whilst sipping a glass of champagne. Their qualified guides will lead a hiking trip down into the heart of the Canyon, where lunch is served at a permanent waterhole on the Fish River.
Photographers of all levels will ample opportunity to view black eagles gliding the thermal updrafts as well as the desert-adapted plants that seem to thrive in this unique eco-system. Rare mountain zebra, the elusive klipspringer, oryx and kudu roam the remote valleys and side canyons, whilst Cape clawless otter, fish eagle and other water-loving species inhabit the permanent pools along the river.
Archeology for the expert or the curious is a must, and there is much to discover and learn, especially with the ancient pictoglyph sites and Stone Age tools of the area.
Guests can fly straight in to their private airstrip, (a 10min drive from the lodge) and transfers to and from the lodge can be organized.
Fish River Lodge - On the Edge of Eternity!
- along the rim of the Canyon and sundowner trails where you can watch the sun set whilst sipping a glass of champagne.
- Guided Hikes
- qualified guides will take you hiking down into the heart of the Canyon or serve lunch at a permanent waterhole on the Fish River. Here water is trapped in a basin of fascinating rock formations deepened by millions of years of erosion.
- upstream in the shade of the narrow gorge will remind you of the power of nature.
- Scenic Sundowner Drive
- Enjoy a drink and snacks whilst watching the sky turn from subtle pink and blue in the east to burnt orange in the west. This stunning location offers panoramic views of the canyon and meandering Fish River. The tour start time varies with the season so please leave plenty of time when arriving at the lodge by car so you don’t miss this enchanting excursion.
- Canyon Drives
Experience an amazing variety of geological features as you journey into the depths of the second largest canyon in the world. See rough limestone, shiny quartzites, fine shales and dramatic fault lines.
Catch your breath as you take in the dramatic views of the river before descending into the base of the canyon for refreshments by the river.
The excursion is approximately 7 hours.Leaving times vary depending on the season.
- For guests who want time to relax, you can sit on the deck of the Fish River Lodge and enjoy the breath taking views from morning to midnight, when the stars twinkle more brightly than any other place on earth.
Accommodation and hot-springs at the southern end of the Fish River Canyon
Probably the most popular lodge in the area. Friendly staff, interesting rooms and an emphasis on growing all local produce make for a wonderful stay
The smaller sibling to the Canon Lodge & Village, this fun establishment boasts loads of character
Supposedly laid out like an African village - this tends to be second choice to the Lodge but still offers good value
On the edge of the canyon with stunning views
Campsite close to the main viewpoint over the Fish River Canyon
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.