Damaraland - Namibia
Nestled in a mountainous valley in the centre of a mopane tree savannah is Gelbingen Lodge, some 35km north-west of Kamanjab in the Damaraland region of Namibia. It is 225km south of the small town of Opuwo and makes it an ideal stopover on the way to Ruacana Falls, Epupa Falls, Marienfluss Valley and the Kunene River. Small groups and self-drive tourists find this lodge particularly welcoming after a hard days drive on the dusty Damaraland roads.
Namibia's famous Etosha National Park can also be included on a journey to the north-west of the country.
The main building houses the cozy dining area and the popular Himba Bar. Tea/coffee is available at the lapa. There is a laundry service (if staying for over 2 days), secure parking and Gelbingen Lodge is wheelchair friendly. Valuables can be stored in the safe at reception. The swimming pool offers respite from hot Namibian afternoon sun.
A hot and cold breakfast is served buffet-style and light lunches can ordered on request. A set menu of scrumptious bush cuisine for dinner includes game meat and fresh vegetables, can be ordered from the bush.
Accommodation at Glebingen Lodge is in:
- Single Room: There is 1 single room with a mosquito net, writing desk/chair. It is tastefully furnished and decorated.
- Double Rooms: 8 double rooms are equipped with twin beds and facilities and furnishings similar to the Single Room.
A Himba clan settled on the Farm Gelbingen around 2005. After an uncomfortable beginning, as 2 worlds collided, both communities have found ways around differing cultures and backgrounds, and have learned to live together. The Himba tribe have settled well and continue to live their traditional lifestyle.
Children are welcome at Gelbingen Lodge and parents can let the younger ones let off steam at the playground.
- Himba visit
- The main pursuit at Gelbingen Lodge is a visit to the Himba clan that settled on the farm, your guide Volker, can speak their language fluently!
- Game & farm drives
- Day drives can be organized and zebra, giraffe, a variety of plains game and warthog can be seen.
- The white-tailed shrike. Binoculars and bird books at the ready!
This remote lodge is an absolute must. Nearly everyone who knows Namibia rates this as one of it's finest destinations
On a farm near the town of Kamanjab. This lodge is best known for visits to a local Himba community
A lodge owned by the local community, Grootberg has stunning views and interesting activities
A small private lodge, with attentive management. Activities centre on the Huab river which attract a variety of game including the elusive desert adapted elephant
In the village of Kamanjab lies this guest house, many guests stay here in order to visit the nearby Himba village
Just outside the town of Kamanjab lies this small restcamp
This lodge is such an institution that Palmwag, which is no more than the lodge and a petrol station is marked on every Namibian map.
A mobile camp, specialising in finding desert rhino. Offers a luxurious and exclusive experience.
On a large farm, offering visits to the nomadic Himba people.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.