Erongo / Spitzkoppe - Namibia
Hohenstein is situated south-west of the Erongo Mountains at the foot of the massif, and it the closest Lodge to the famous Spitzkoppe Mountains. This area has one of the most impressive landscapes in the country, and the lodge is named after the highest mountain of the range, and is located at the foot of it. Namibia's Central Highlands are the traditional home to the Herero people.
There are spectacular views of both the (1,469m) Mount Kainachab and Hohenstein (2,319m) to its right. Both are situated across a wide valley, and are scattered with ancient Camelthorn trees.
Both the Camelthorn bar and outside dining areas have amazing views of the surrounding environment. There is something special about outdoor dining, whilst viewing game coming to the waterhole for a drink or to graze. Inside the main building, the restaurant has an inviting fireplace, where fine wining and dining can be enjoyed on those colder evenings.
The well-kept garden, runs right around the swimming pool, a great spot to either take a dip, or relax and unwind under the shady umbrella's and sun-loungers.
Accommodation is in a combination of 14 twin or single bungalows each with en-suite bathroom facilities, mosquito nets, mosquito gauze netting on the doors and windows, in-room safe and 220v sockets. They are well-furnished, with beautiful views of the region from the private verandah.
Traditional Damara houses have been built by some of the employee's, sited only a few hundred metres away from the lodges. The Damara's are very proud of their traditions, and will be only too glad to escort visitors to these dwellings, informing of their ancestors' way of life on the way!
As sections of the Haub River have permanent water, attracting animals to the area is not difficult. The Erongo Mountains are also renown as a superb bird watching area, and numerous species are attracted to the water points in front of the lodge's main area, a great incentive to unpack the binoculars and camera's!
The lodge offers a range of activities, including a night safari, sundowner drives to visit ancient Bushman and Damara paintings, and guided hikes to the 'boulder forest.' A visit to some small miner claims, where gemstones are sourced, is also a favourite. Experienced mountain climbers have been known to hike from the lodge, to the peak of Hohenstein in one day.
Hohenstein Lodge are active members of the Erongo Mountain Nature Conservancy, (EMNC) an organization that functions to protect the wealth of endemic and rare wildlife species, as well as the archaeological sites of the Erongo Mountain. They pride themselves on the creation of job opportunities, specifically in the area of tourism, for local people.
- Sundowner Drive
- a Sundowner drive through fascinating and varied landscape and vegetation to the Bushman and Damara paintings. The drive ends with drinks as the sun sets over the Hohenstein Mountain
- There are several hiking trails available, these allow you to walk amongst the massive granite boulders of the Erongo Range and visit the gemstone miners who work in the are
- Experienced mountain climbers will be able to cover the distance from the lodge to the peak of Hohenstein in one day. Next to it, experienced climbers have turned the side of the mountain into a climbing wall by installing hooks
Nestled in a conservation area in the majestic Erongo Mountains this property contains a wide selection of rock art
a 24 room lodge in the Erongo region of central Namibia
One of our favourite lodges in Namibia - excellent accommodation, food and beautiful surroundings make for an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
A variety of activities are on offer at this lodge near Karibib
Situated at the foot of the Hohenstein mountain, this lodge offers many hiking and climbing opportunities. It is also well situated to visit the Spitzkoppe Mountain.
Accommodation in the small town of Omaruru.
Specialising in family holidays and horse riding, Okomitundu offers plenty of activities
A self catering villa in the heart of the charming town of Omaruru
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.