Ichingo Chobe River Lodge
Caprivi - Namibia
The main lodge buildings have been constructed over the river, under thatch and set under large, shady trees. There is a lounge and bar area, and home-cooked meals are served from the chef's set menu, in both the indoor and outdoor dining areas. Special dietary requirements can be catered for. Power is presently supplied by 2 generators.
There is also a swimming pool and deck nestled on the edge of the river, where guests can have a dip and then soak up the sun, in this amazing, distinctive environment.
A short amble along a lush, green pathway, leads to the accommodation. There are 8 single or double river facing, twin, en-suite Meru style tents, fitted with wooden doors. Each unit is equipped with cupboards, tables, electric lights, and gauze netting is fitted to the tents to keep those unwanted mosquito's away at night. The balcony overlooks the river, and the deck is a great place to bird watch.
Boat trips along the banks of the river offer excellent game viewing opportunities. Ichingo Chobe River Lodge has a fleet of high quality boats, each with it's own dedicated guide. Huge herds of elephant come to the river banks to drink and graze, bringing with them an extensive array of game such as buffalo, giraffe, kudu, waterbuck, puku, lechwe, impala and baboons. On the evening sundowner trip, the boat will be surrounded by elephants, an unforgettable experience.
Many visitors enjoy staying a night or two on 1 of the 2 houseboats, The Ichobezi Moli and Ichobezi Mukwae. They each have a sitting and dining area, bar, plunge pool, airy double cabin, with en-suite shower and large windows at water level. Both houseboats have a crew of 5, including a chef. The food is prepared on the boat.
To cruise down the Chobe River in absolute luxury, sundowner in one hand, bird book in the other, is an incredible event! A popular excursion is to anchor at Elephant Bay, where their tender boats can take you on a fishing trip. As night falls, guests will be left with nothing other than the starry-lit skies, nearby elephants playing and hippos grunting!
Fishing for tigerfish and bream in both the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers is a favourite for anglers. Access to over 100kms of river, provides excellent fishing opportunities, in what is undoubtedly the premier tiger fishing waters in Africa. The Ichingo Lodge is particularly renown for the quality of its guides and their success in landing tigerfish. High quality tackle is available.
Excursions by Mokoro (dugout canoe) into the small islands of the Chobe River can be organized, as long as the water levels are high enough. The experienced polers have an extensive knowledge of the various bird species to be found on the trip.
Other activities include guided Island walks to local villages, that offer an insight into traditional African life. No visit to this part of Africa would be complete without a game drives into the Chobe National Park. Some of the best bird watching in Africa can be accomplished here.
There is no land line on the island, but cell-phone reception is possible with a Botswana Sim card.
Guests are transferred from Kasane Immigration by boat to the lodge, where secure parking is available. The Lodge has its own airstrip on the island, and a plane is available for scenic flights over the area and on to Victoria Falls.
- Game viewing
- Both the Ichobezi Luxury Safari boats and the Ichingo Chobe River Lodge are ideal for watching wildlife activity in Chobe National Park. On the river banks allows you to view and photograph elephant, buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, bushbuck and giraffe from a completely different perspective than by a conventional 4x4 safari. Large troops of baboons are also resident. In the river elephant join numerous hippos and crocodiles, particularly from May to September.
- There is boat access to over 100kms of prime water on both the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers. Each habitat offers a different challenge from either conventional or fly-fishing methods. Tiger fish which grows to 20lbs is the main prize but there are also a number of 'bream' species, catfish, African pike and Upper Zambezi yellowfish. Ichingo Chobe River is also a premier fly-fishing destination and their excellent guides and quality tender and jet boats can access rapids even in low water.
- Photographic safaris
- The waterways and floodplains of Chobe National Park offer up some of the regions outstanding photographic opportunities. A superb diversity of wildlife and birdlife inhabiting stunning scenery always allows for that unique shot. Direct your own tender boat as you cruise the river as the lodge's expert guide manouveres you to the exact spot allowing for the required light. Ideal for experts or amatuers alike.
- Prolific birdlife is one of the Caprivi's main drawcards. Birders of all standards can view many of the 400 woodland and wetland species recorded in the region. Between March and September summer migrants move around in large numbers adding to the excellent birding opportunities, observed from a lodge excursion or by safari boat.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Mamili & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic, the food awesome and the situation idyllic - resulting in some of the best value for money accommodation in Namibia
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi River on an adventurous houseboat holiday
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain's from its situation in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
This is the only place in the world where four countries meet. A wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A self catering family oriented lodge which offers excellent fishing opportunities
Traditionally one of the east Caprivi's most popular lodges has recently been re-opened
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
Brand new lodge in east Caprivi - ideal for exploring the wetlands of the Mamili National Park
situated on three small islands this is an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing expereinces on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
Close to the town of Katima Mulilo in the east Caprivi
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.