Omaruru | Namibia
Located on the banks and overlooking the seasonal Omaruru River, and in the town of the same name, is Kashana Lodge. It is the ideal stopover to investigate the creative nature of Omaruru; many local Namibian artists live here. Omaruru is also known for the quality of its wines and chocolates. The beauty and charm of the surrounding Erongo Mountain region richly deserve some exploration as well.
There are numerous routes to and from Omaruru, all within 1 day's travel. Your itinerary can include visits to the seaside town of Swakopmund, the Cape fur seal colony at Cape Cross, Namibia's highest peak at Brandberg Mountain, over 2,000 rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, Waterberg Plateau and Namibia's number one tourist attraction, Etosha National Park.
The volcanic Erongo Mountain range is also one of the country's most popular tourist draw cards. Flanked by the Namib Desert to the west and a mixed, woodland savannah to the east, a gathering of ecosystems have formed over the years. A home to a most impressive array of plant, reptile, mammal and bird species, some endemic to Namibia, has evolved. Rock paintings are also a lure, the most notable being the 'White Elephant' frieze in Phillip's Cave on the southern edge of the mountain.
Facilities include a bar and a restaurant with separate terrace and 2 private function rooms. Namibian style food is served as well as a continental and English breakfast, an 'A la Carte' and set menu for lunch and dinner. Breakfast and lunch packs can be ordered in advance as can any special dietary requirements and set menus for groups. The swimming pool has a 'lounging area' and there is wellness treatments available, Wi-Fi, a laundry service, hair dresser shop, goldsmith and herbal shop.
Kashana Lodge is also home to the Nawa Nawa Arts Centre, complete with a gallery and several shops, offering locally made arts and crafts. The focus here is of recycling materials. Old oil drums, building rubble and reeds from the riverbed have been used to make innovative, high quality Namibian Arts and Crafts. Artists featured include Thelma van Rhyn, Annette Niedermeier and Martie Zwemmer.
Accommodation is in 10 chalets. Each unit has an en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning, mini-bar, mosquito nets, tea/coffee station, TV, Internet connection, an in-room safe and 220v AC power supply. Available are:
- Chalets: 6 chalets fitted with a king-size bed or two double beds, an en-suite bathroom with bidet and a private verandah.
- Family chalets: The 2 family chalets come complete with an upstairs loft, 2 double beds and 2 single beds, a shared bathroom with bidet, private verandah.
- Luxury rooms: There is 1 twin suite and 1 double luxury rooms, each with an en-suite bathroom, separate lounge, extra bed for families and shared verandah.
English, German & Afrikaans are spoken, and children of all ages are welcome at Kashana.
- Visit the Kristall Kellere winery in Omaruru
- Shopping & Food
- Omaruru has established itself the Namibian artists retreat. Although it is still primarily a small farming town there is an unusually high proportion of interesting cafes and shops
Nestled in a conservation area in the majestic Erongo Mountains this property contains a wide selection of rock art
Totally exclusive! Offered as a private lodge for up to 20 people with good wildlife viewing and San rock paintings.
One of our favourite lodges in Namibia - excellent accommodation, food and beautiful surroundings make for an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
A variety of activities are on offer at this lodge near Karibib. Accommodation ranges from camping and self-catering options to private bungalows
Situated at the foot of the Hohenstein mountain, this lodge offers many hiking and climbing opportunities. It is also well situated to visit the Spitzkoppe Mountain
A charming lodge in the town of Omaruru. With all the facilities you may require including a popular restaurant & bar
Around 30km east of Omaruru this pretty little guest farms offers self catering units in a tranquil and pleasant environment
A self catering villa in the heart of the town of Omaruru
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.