Kavita Lion Lodge
Lodges near Etosha National Park - Namibia
The Kavita Lion Lodge in north western Namibia, borders on the Etosha National Park and is the ideal base from which to venture into Damaraland and Kaokoland. The Environmental Education Centre, is where guests are introduced to the works of the Afri-Leo Foundation, which is dedicated to the conservation and protection of the Namibian Lion (Panthera leo).
It also gives an insight into the farmer-predator conflict issues along the boundary of the Etosha National Park, research and monitoring programmes and an over-view of the Lion Sanctuary, where rescued lions have a home.
Kavita Lion Lodge pride themselves on their informal ambiance, excellent service and professionally-guided, eco-ethnic activities and safaris.
Meals are served outdoors under a thatched Lapa and the evening is greeted with a well-deserved sundowner, around an enchanting fire.
Kavita Lion Lodge has 8 thatched chalets, accommodating 16 guests. Each chalet has its own en-suite bedroom, and a private verandah with a view over the waterhole. Five of the recently completed 8 thatched chalets overlook a waterhole. In addition to this, there is a family cottage that has three en-suite double rooms overlooking the gardens.
Pre-dinner drinks can be enjoyed around the campfire before meals are served under a thatched 'Lapa'. There is also a swimming pool where guests can cool off between excursions.
There are a range of activities offered at Kavita Lion Lodge. These include early morning walking trails, game and nature drives in open 4WD safari vehicles, bush walks, birding trails, the Dassie Trail, Dik-Dik Trail and bird hide. An introduction to the Afri-Leo Foundation is also available.
Guests can also view five lions, rescued from Namibia's last zoo, who now have their home here.
Kavita Lion Lodge organizes two excursions. The first is a day excursion to visit the Himba people in villages in the Opuwo district. The other is a 3-day safari to Epupa Falls on the Kunene River and Himba villages. Both these excursions need to be organized in advance.
Kavita Lion Lodge. A unique, wilderness experience in Namibia's northwest.
- Early morning bush walks
- guided nature trails are offered upon request. Guests may enjoy 'close encounters of the small kind' where insects, indigenous flora and a myriad of other interesting life-forms may be observed.
- Birding trails
- sought after endemics such as the Monteiro's Hornbill, Bare-cheeked Babbler, Hartlaub's Francolin and the White-tailed Shrike (to name but a few) may be seen, as well as many other birds species, well-adapted to this semi-arid environment
- The Dassie Trail, Dik-Dik Trail and the Bird Hide
- close to the Lodge and specifically designed for you to enjoy at your leisure. Open-vehicle game and nature drives: a large variety of indigenous wildlife and spectacular views over Damaraland may be seen whilst driving through the Namibian bush. Game species such as eland, oryx, kudu and the endemic black-faced impala abound, as well as the elusive Damara Dik-Dik, steenbok, springbok, blue wildebeest, giraffe, Hartmann's zebra and the comical warthog. Leopard, cheetah and many other predators, large and small, are encountered at times in this semi-arid mopane bushveld.
- The AFRI-LEO FOUNDATION
- is dedicated to the Conservation and Protection of the Namibian lion. Guests are introduced to the first phase of the project, where 5 lions rescued from Namibia's last zoo now have their home. Objectives such as Environmental Education, Research and Human-Predator Conflict Resolution support the conservation of Namibia's wild lion population
- Rhino Tracking
- Kavita Lion lodge has been included in the Namibian Ministy of Environment & Tourism Rhino Custodianship Scheme. This means they can offer the opportunity to track Rhino from the lodge. This is an afternoon activity and is not suitable for children under the age of 15.
Kavita Lion Lodge is located approximately 40 km north of Kamanjab, in north-western Namibia. Travelling north for approx. 36 kms on the C 35, a well-maintained gravel road stretching towards Ruacana, you will find the Kavita Lion Lodge signboard; turn right onto a narrow farm road and follow the 'paw-prints' for another 5 kms, before arriving at the lodge
Details of the nearest airfield are: co-ordinates S 19° 24' 54" E 014° 38' 58" sand/gravel; elevation: 4 200 ft; length: 1 200 m; windsock midfield, north.
This remote lodge is an absolute must. Nearly everyone who knows Namibia rates this as one of it's finest destinations
On a farm near the town of Kamanjab. This lodge is best known for visits to a local Himba community
A lodge owned by the local community, Grootberg has stunning views and interesting activities
A small private lodge, with attentive management. Activities centre on the Huab river which attract a variety of game including the elusive desert adapted elephant
In the village of Kamanjab lies this guest house, many guests stay here in order to visit the nearby Himba village
Just outside the town of Kamanjab lies this small restcamp
This lodge is such an institution that Palmwag, which is no more than the lodge and a petrol station is marked on every Namibian map.
A mobile camp, specialising in finding desert rhino. Offers a luxurious and exclusive experience.
On a large farm, offering visits to the nomadic Himba people.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.