Guest Farm Kiripotib
Accommodation in the Kalahari Desert - Namibia
Kiripotib Guest Farm is situated some 160 kms south-east of both Windhoek and Hosea Kutako International Airport. Self-drive tourists heading to the Kalahari often use it to bookend their holiday in Namibia. A major draw-card here is the state-of-the-art star-gazing and flying facilities as well as art and craft studios.
The drive to Kiripotib from Windhoek is within sight of both the Auas and Bismarck Mountain ranges. The camelthorn tree filled savannah offers ample opportunity to view a variety of wildlife along the way.
Visitors are assured of a warm welcome on what is an authentic working sheep and cattle farm set right in the heart of the Kalahari Desert. It is set amongst a seemingly endless vista of Namibian grass savannah and rugged mountains, whilst not detracting from the amazing contrasts of the green Kalahari and the nearby rich red dunes.
Hans von Hase has developed the property into a successful sheep farm, whilst also building up the cattle ranching aspect of the business; no mean feat considering the erratic, annual rainfall in the area. Meanwhile, Hans's wife Claudia, has developed a karakul carpet weaving side to the enterprise, as well as developing a jewelery design studio. The gallery on the farm, boasts an array of beautiful artifacts, carefully sourced from all over Africa, and guests can enjoy a guided tour of the African Kirikara Art workshops. Here they can witness the weavers, spinners and even the goldsmith at work, discussing their own ideas is encouraged with the designers themselves!
Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be ordered and for guests on full day tours, lunch packs can be arranged. Afternoon tea/coffee and cake, is a treat to look forward after a day's action! The swimming pool offers welcome relief from the hot Namibian sunshine.Accommodation is in either rooms or chalets,
- Rooms: Of the 2 guest rooms, 1 is a double and 1 single guest room. They are all equipped with an en-suite shower and toilet, Wi-Fi, luxury linen, tea/coffee station, an in-room safe and a private garden terrace. Most of the rooms have eco friendly solar water heating.
- Chalets: There is 1 single, 1 double and 1 triple chalet all with similar facilities to the Guest Rooms.
Activities include a tour of the Kiripotib farm itself, Kalahari nature experience, guided mountain hike or sundowner game drive, or a visit to a private observatory. There are hiking trails and a hide at a waterhole for birding and game viewing. Visitors can also learn of the difficulty of operating an active cattle and sheep ranching enterprise, in an arid semi-desert environment.
There is a transfers shuttle service to both the centre of Windhoek, and the International Airport.
- Farm tour
- Daily farm routines include holistic methods successfully employed to combat the periods of drought that occur in this arid environment. This tour will also give visitors a full insight into Claudia von Hase's fascinating African Kirikara arts enterprise.
- Game Drive
- Wildlife observations on a Namibian game drive in this part of the Kalahari Desert can include zebra, kudu, hartebeest, warthog, springbok, oryx, aardvarks and porcupine.
- Hiking trails
- Taking a guided tour on a hiking tour which leads to the Aloe Forest or further up the stunning Karubeams Mountain.
- Sundowner Drink
- Either on a drive, in the lapa or on a near-by dune offer excellent venues to enjoy a thirst-quenching sundowner.
- Art and Crafts Studio
- Visit a traditional spinning workshop and weavery. This offers an excellent opportunity to learn how Namibian carpets and wall hangings are woven by hand.
- Ideal stargazing including astronomy photography.
- Farm Gallery
- View a fantastic collection of carpets, jewellery and other beautiful African art work.
Situated in the Kalahari east of Windhoek. From the B6 (towards the airport and Gobabis) turn south onto the C23 (marked towards Dordabis). At Dordabis join the C15 and then the D1448 until you reach Kiripotib
The Arnhem Caves are the largest in Namibia, this simple rest camp allows guests to explore these caves
Built from locally made red Kalahari clay bricks this is a wonderful lodge. Expect good food, stunning Kalahari sunsets and a warm welcome
An ideal stop over in the Kalahari en-route between Botswana and central Namibia
Hans and Claudia run an excellent guest farm - activities include game drives, learning about (and eating) local sheep, the art centre and carpet weaving. We think this is one of the best guest farms in Namibia
Offers a variety of accommodation styles from guest houses to a tented camp.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.