close to Windhoek - Namibia
The large farm called Midgard is nestled in the unspoiled natural splendour of the Otjihavera mountains only 90mins drive from Windhoek. This beautiful country estate is an ideal hide-away especially on the first or last stop of your Namibian holiday for self-drive tourists and families alike. The grounds also provide the perfect backdrop for meetings, team-building events and for special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries or weddings.
The old farm house, built of clay bricks, was converted into a guest farm in 1993. Midgard means 'Empire of the People' and is deeply rooted in Germanic mythology. Midgard Lodge is well known for its food and is a popular place for Windhoek residents to enjoy Sunday lunch. The varied cuisine caters for all tastes. Meals are served with a variety of biologically grown fruit and vegetables from the lodges' own garden.
Guests can enjoy their meals outside, in the lapa or boma dining area. Drinks are also served in the pool bar. There are 2 swimming pools offering respite from the hot Namibian sunshine. Guests can also work out in the gym and take a sauna. The private skittle alley (Kegelbahn) is great fun for all the family. Others prefer 8-ball in the pool room or some time watching television.
Accommodation at Midgard Lodge is in 46 rooms with either mountain, courtyard, garden or pool views. They are located in single or 2 story buildings in the beautiful gardens:
- Standard Rooms: The 36 x Standard Rooms have an en-suite bathroom with a shower or a bath, air-conditioning, complementary Wi-Fi, in-room safe, hair-dryers, tea/coffee station, LCD TV with hotel package satellite channels and electronic door locks.
- Luxury Rooms: There are 5 Luxury Rooms with similar facilities to the standard rooms.
- Honeymoon Suite: The Honeymoon Suite has a mini-fridge, lounge and private balcony in addition to the similar facilities as the Luxury Rooms
- Family Rooms: There are 5 Family Rooms with similar facilities as the Standard Rooms.
The emphasis at Midgard Country Estate is on relation and enjoyment. There are a number of hiking trails for those who want to stretch their legs. Birding is great at here as well whether you are relaxing in the beautiful grounds enjoying the Midgard ambiance, on a leisurely walk or in a vehicle driving around the region. Self-drive along tracks and trails on game drives that take you along ephemeral river beds and into the mountains, ideal for experiencing the local flora and fauna.
- There are a number of hiking trails ideal for relaxation, birding and admiring the stunning scenery at the same time.
- Mountain Trails
- Test your driving skills along a couple of 4 x 4 tracks. One of them is a self-drive and nature trail and the other 30kms through sandy riverbeds and into the mountains.
- Outdoor Games
- You can play beach volleyball, table tennis or for the thinker outdoor chess. There is also a kiddies playground.
- Sundowner Drive
- Enjoy outstanding views of the mountains as the beautiful sun sets quenching your thirst at the same time.
- Vintage car collection
- Nature Drive
- Take a morning or afternoon game drive through the 2,000ha nature reserve. Wildlife includes giraffe, blue and black wildebeest, oryx, kudu, hartebeest, eland, warthog, baboons and smaller antelope species such as the steenbok
- Head to the riverfront. There are scores of bird species to observe.
- Pit your skills against the family or fellow guests on the 4-lane skittle alley.
A privately owned game farm, with a good variety of wildlife just a short distance south of Windhoek.
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve west of Windhoek
This lodge is very popular amongst those seeking leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek. Regular feedings guarantee great sightings and photographic opportunities
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
Opposite the Windhoek International Airport, close enough to be extremely convenient but far enough away that planes are not a distraction. Great for those arriving late or leaving early, as cuts out the 45km drive from Windhoek/
One of Namibia's most popular spas with the added bonus of top game viewing.
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swimming pools, this is a good family lodge
Close to the B1 road around 30 kilometers south of the city this lodge offers a good one night stopover for wary travellers
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.