Kavango | Caprivi - Namibia
Nunda Lodge, set on the Kavango River, is situated 2kms east of one of the highlights of the Western Caprivi, the Popa Falls (more rapids than falls). Nunda is the local Thimbukushu name, given to the fruit of the Jackalberry tree. The proud Hambukushu people are ruled by their Fumu (King) and largely maintain a traditional way of life. Nunda Safari Lodge is a central destination, ideal to explore the region, before travelling on to the Okavango Delta, East Caprivi, Zambia or Victoria Falls.
Guests check in at reception at the main lapa complex, which consists of a furnished thatched restaurant and bar, offering a variety of Namibian cuisine, complemented by fine wines from their cellar. Breakfast is served buffet style and dinner is ordered from their 3 course set menu. There is also a curio shop and the lounge is a perfect setting to unwind and catch up on all the latest travel and safari news with other guests.
The large wooden deck overlooks the river, a splendid location to enjoy a sundowner, whilst admiring the spectacular sunsets and the snorting hippos as they head to their own feeding grounds downstream. The large swimming pool, a favourite at the lodge, is set amongst a magnificent grassed garden, and is the second stop after arriving from a dusty day's drive or activities. (The bar being the first stop of course!)
The accommodation at Nunda Safari Lodge is set amongst huge trees and shrubs, offering both privacy and seclusion. Both the tents and bungalows have covered decks that overlook the river. There are:
- Luxury Tents: 7 large tastefully furnished, twin bed, en-suite Meru tents, built on wooden decks. Each tent has en-suite facilities with a fan, mosquito net, in-room safe and plug-in points to charge up camera's and cell-phones.
- Bungalows: 3 x thatched, twin bed, bungalows with similar facilities to the tents.
Activities at Nunda Safari Lodge include guided game drives, morning and afternoon boat cruises, traditional Mokoro canoe trips along the river and fishing expeditions. (Some fishing equipment is available.) Camping excursions to the Khaudum National Park can also be organized. There are also cultural walks to traditional villages.
The daily game drives to the Mahangu and Bwabwato National Parks, in the lodge's own open safari vehicles, are a real African adventure. African Wild Dog, lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, letchwe, sitatunga, hippo, crocodile and a host of other antelope species, as well as large herds of sable and roan antelope, can be found.
Anglers casting their lines into the river can expect to hook various species of fish including tilapia, sharptooth catfish, nembwe as well as the legendary tigerfish.
Life on the river would not be complete without an abundance of birdlife to spot and photograph, accompanied by the lodge's knowledgeable guides. The region is home to an estimated 430 species of birds, with over 20 endemic or near endemic species, including the yellow wagtail, wattled crane, great snipe, African rail and African skimmers.
Nunda Safari Lodge. For a true Namibian experience.
- guided game drives
- Daily game drives to the Mahangu and Bwabwato National Parks in an open vehicle offer an exciting game viewing experience
- boat cruises
- along the Kavango River
- angling expeditions
- Various species of Tilapia, Sharptooth Catfish, Nembwe as well as the legendary Tigerfish are some of the fish species which you can expect to catch near Nunda Safari Lodge
- Mokoro trips
- explore the river in a Mokoro - a traditional canoe carved from a single tree trunk
- Guided birding and nature walks
- are a rewarding experience,
- Cultural visits to traditional villages
- Learn about the traditions and lifestyles of the Hambukushu people who own the land around Nunda Safari Lodge
An upmarket lodge and spa on the banks of the Kavango River
Small lodge situated close to the town of Rundu
Another lodge close to Rundu, offers good fishing
Situated on the banks of the river (hence the name) in Rundu
Situated close to the Mahangu Park in west Caprivi - this is an excellent stop-over between Namibia, Maun (in Botswana) and the Victoria Falls
A rustic river side campsite and lodge offering excellent value for money
Close to Popa Falls and the Mahango Reserve this lodge offers stunning river views
Refreshingly, and surprisingly for the area, this lodge does not have the word 'River' as part of its name. Do not be misled it is situated on the banks of the river opposite the Caprivi Game Park (Bwabwata National Park)
Close to the Popa Falls, this rest camp offers very basic accommodation
on the Kavango River banks this lodge offers plenty of water based activities
A new lodge on the banks of the Kavango River, near the village of Divundu, offering mokoro trips, fishing and sunset river cruises
On a beautiful plot of indigenous plants and trees overlooking the river
One of the best lodges for birders visiting Namibia - but also great for fishing, chilling or generally becoming part of the family
A small lodge a short distance east of Rundu. The rooms have river views and guests can choose from a range of activities
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.