close to Windhoek - Namibia
Okapuka lodge is situated only 30kms north of Windhoek, and is an ideal overnight stop for those arriving or departing from the Windhoek International Airport. It is also a great place to relax for a few days after a gruelling safari with the opportunity to view the many species of mammal and birds in their natural environment.
The restaurant, (separated from the bar by a water and rock cascade) offers a variety of unusual starters, local game dishes, and sumptuous desserts, all prepared with recipes handed down from generation to generation. The cozy, candle-lit atmosphere, centred around an open fire place, has wonderful views over the green-grass park. There is something very special about wining and dining in such ambiance, whilst grazing herds of antelope quietly move onto the floodlit lawns.
The 'Hyena bar' is a favourite spot at Okapuka, for a wide range of liqueurs, sherries, brandies and a fine selection of South African wines. There are some fantastic views of the mountains and is the perfect setting for pre or after dinner drink. The bar is carved from wood of the Camelthorn tree , covered by a huge thatched, dome roof.
The wine cellar features top estate blends and single cultivars, as well as excellent table wines to complement a meal. The award-winning cellar's wine list, includes some of the world's finest, with a special section of top, accolade winning ports of outstanding quality and age. Tours of the cellar can be arranged in advanced, and is available for groups of between 12-50 people.
Okapuka offers a number of venues to suit a variety of celebrations and private events. This includes the Conference Room, which forms part of the Mountain Lodge, and is equipped with air-conditioning, and all the standard presentation equipment associated with these corporate events, (Screen, overhead projector, flip chart, TV, VCR) for groups of up to 30 people.
The Lounge, The Lion Bar, and The Restaurant Lounge are also available for a number of smaller meetings, seminars and breakaways, as is the Pool Lapa, an informal outside venue, for groups up to 15 people
Accommodation is 16 thatched rooms, built to blend in with the surrounding bush. They are all equipped with an en-suite bathroom and toilet, telephone, tea & coffee station, mini-bar and fridge and an open terrace. Von Aschenborn paintings adorn the walls and the floors are decorated with carpets from the wool of the Karakul sheep.
There are also a further 4 rooms, (with a balcony) that form part of the lodge. These are furnished with cane and wall-to-wall carpets. They too have an en-suite bathroom with toilet & shower, satellite TV, telephone, tea/coffee station, mini-bar and fridge. The extra bonus here is of the spectacular African landscape below.
The daily lion feeding is a real highlight at Okapuka Lodge. Game drives are also very popular and there are many species of antelope, zebra, wildebeest, a rich bird life and perhaps most impressive of all - rhino. The more adventurous might prefer a horseback safari, a most amazing experience if ever there was one, whilst others might prefer to game view by helicopter.
There are a number of hiking trails of varying degrees of distance and difficulty.
- Lion feeding
- A daily highlight at the lodge is the lion feed
- Game drives
- Game drives around the large Okapuka property which is well stocked with a wide variety of species
- Game viewing on horse back
- Walking trails
- 2 hiking trails of 2 hours and 6 hours respectively invite the visitor to experience the bush on foot
- 4x4 Mountain trail
- A total of 120 km marked bushland trails. The tour is attempted in your own vehicle on a self catering basis, with overnights in your own tent.
- Game viewing from horse back
- Riding in search of game is a thrilling and relaxing activity. Not only do you see antelope from a different perspective than by vehicle or foot, but you can rely on your trusty steed not to scare the animals away. Early morning and late afternoon safaris can be organised, both of 2hrs duration. A full day's ride of 4hrs is possible with a picnic lunch sandwiched in between the morning and afternoon session. Leopard and cheetah do roam freely around the area and sightings are possible but not guaranteed.
A privately owned game farm, with a good variety of wildlife just a short distance south of Windhoek.
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve west of Windhoek
This lodge is very popular amongst those seeking leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek. Regular feedings guarantee great sightings and photographic opportunities
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
Opposite the Windhoek International Airport, close enough to be extremely convenient but far enough away that planes are not a distraction. Great for those arriving late or leaving early, as cuts out the 45km drive from Windhoek/
One of Namibia's most popular spas with the added bonus of top game viewing.
A pleasant little lodge which offers fishing opportunities at the nearby Friedendau Dam
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swimming pools, this is a good family lodge
Close to the B1 road around 30 kilometers south of the city this lodge offers a good one night stopover for wary travellers
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.