Onguma - The Fort
Lodges near Etosha - Namibia
Onguma Game Reserve is situated on the eastern side of Etosha Park in Namibia, bordering Fischer’s Pan. The Fort at Onguma is set on this 20 000 ha nature reserve which boasts over thirty different animal species. Predators such as lion, cheetah, leopard are common residents of the area. The latest addition to the already abundant wildlife at Onguma Nature Reserve is a family of black rhinos!
The Fort is unique. Massive raw walls, stunning stone clad features and a huge tower with views toward Etosha and Fisher's Pan offers the best sunset views in the whole of Namibia!
The Fort has an African feel like no other! Moroccan and Indian flavours combine perfectly with the selection of beautiful antique windows and doors. A courtyard and large water feature will refresh the senses. Across the courtyard is a spacious beautifully decorated lounge and open air dining room. A large wooden deck leads outside, with scattered romantic seating spaces, in full view of the waterhole.
Meals are served at either the indoor or outside dining areas allowing you too choose to dine at the lantern-lit pool, in the courtyard or alongside the water feature. Drinks are bought by waiter service from from the tower bar. The revamped wine cellar has a range of South African wines, especially selected to complement the Onguma Fort menu. Take a pre-dinner tour to taste and select your wine.
Accommodation at The Fort at Onguma consists of:
- Bush Suites: 11 bush suites are situated adjacent to the Main Fort extending on both sides to the south and the north. Each is completely private. Entrance is through easy to open and close glass stack-able doors allowing for maximum viewing, additional warmth in the winter and cooler room temperatures in the summer. Every suite is equipped with spacious en-suite bathrooms with both an inside and outside shower area. Sleep on large 4 poster beds with mosquito netting. An air cooling system, bar fridge, hair-dryers and a tea/coffee station are standard. Wooden decks lead towards the outside seating area. Relax, unwind and enjoy the extraordinary bush view on comfortable sun-loungers.
- Honeymoon Suite: The Honeymoon Suite is a beautiful Bush Suite with a lounge/TV and similar facilities and a high standard of service and luxury.
- The Sultan Suite: Situated inside the Main Tower enjoy a large, beautifully designed bedroom with a 4 poster bed and fitted mosquito netting. The lounge is equipped with a satellite television system, bar fridge and a telephone. Step outside to a private viewing deck. ‘Beat the heat’ with the efficient air cooling system. The large bathroom has a wonderful open shower area and a bath.
In the Namibian summer months, thousands of bird species migrate to the wetlands created by the seasonal rains and ephemeral river systems. It’s a bird-watcher’s paradise! Take a morning trip into Etosha National Park or drive around the reserve on the sundowner tour.
Special package prices for stays of 3 nights and more are available - please enquire when making a booking.
- Game drives Etosha National Park
- A 4x4 safari excursion into Namibia's premier tourist attraction. The diverse vegetation attracts numerous mammals, large and small, ferocious and timid. Each waterhole hosts different wildlife species seasonally.
- Game drives Onguma Reserve
- A morning tour into Etosha could be followed by an afternoon safari around the reserve. There is plenty to see here including four of the 'Big 5', lion, black rhino and leopard.
- Night drives Onguma Reserve
- Spot-lit drives on the reserve in search of shy and nocturnal creatures are a highlight.
- Bush walks
- A worthwhile way to experience the peacefulness and atmosphere of the Onguma Reserves wilderness is to participate in an early morning bush walk. Your guide, an experienced armed ranger can identify footprints left by large predators and some of the big herbivores. You need to have a basic level of fitness but the emphasis is on a leisurely activity, learning about the inhabitants of the bush on the way round.
- Rhino research drives
- Even though this late afternoon activity is designed to reveal Onguma's research projects and conservation efforts in Namibia, data collection and tracking black rhino is also included.
- Please note
- Onguma Plains, The Fort is unfenced and children under the age of 10 are not permitted. All game drives are conducted on open 4x4 vehicles.
A blend of African excitement & luxury are the order of the day at this luxury lodge
Small mid-price lodge close to the park gate - situated of the private Fischer's pan reserve
Large lodge situated at the Namutoni entrance gate to Etosha. Excellent facilities but expect to share these with large group tours
The latest edition to the Mushara Collection offers mid-range tented accommodation
Good accommodation at a reasonable price, close to the park entrance
Small intimate tented camp built on raised platforms, good for privacy and a 'luxury outdoor' feel
Inside the park borders, built around Fort Namutoni. Recently upgraded to appeal to more 'up-market' visitors
Newly renovated, good mid market option for self-drive tourists
A tented camp just outside Etosha
Luxury lodge built around a fort on Fischer's Pan. Easy access to the park
Small exclusive camp, built on raised platforms - a popular option with those seeking an exclusive new perspective
The first new accommodation to be built inside the Etosha National Park in over 30 years. The camp sits on a wooden deck on an isolated peninsula overlooking the pan
Very exclusive private suites, all mod-cons and luxuries
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.