Opuwo Country Hotel
Kaokoland - Namibia
Opuwo Country Hotel is situated on a hilltop, north-west of the bustling town of Opuwo. It overlooks the surrounding valleys and mountains and is an ideal base to explore Kaokoland. The hotel was officially opened by His Excellency, Hifikipunyu Pohamba on the 25th August 2005.
Opuwo is the gateway to Namibia's Kaokoveld region. This remote area, south of the Kunene river, is home to the Himba; people who have kept their ethnic individuality and culture, whilst surviving in the seclusion of Kaokoland.
The hotel has a dining room, bar, lounge, wine cellar, curio shop, patio and swimming pool. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are normally served buffet style, but guests are welcome to order from the 'a la carte' menu if they prefer. Snacks can be ordered throughout the day.Accommodation is in:
- Standard Rooms: 12 Standard Rooms are equipped with en-suite bathrooms, twin beds, air-conditioning, mosquito nets and seating. Each room is overshadowed by the majestic, thatched main building.
- Luxury Rooms: The 28 luxury rooms are larger than the Standard Rooms with similar facilities.
Activities include a guided excursion to an authentic Himba village, Epupa Waterfalls trip, pioneer track hikes, and rural self-drive trips can also be arranged. Alternatively, why not ask about their drive to the hidden treasures of Kaokoland?
Opuwo Country Hotel was awarded the Hospitality Association of Namibia's annual Award of Excellence in Silver for the year 2007/08.
Namibian cuisine, rich culture, magnificent views, beautiful surroundings and outstanding hospitality, will remain with their guests for years to come.
- Cultural visit
- One of the few genuine cultural experiences available is a trip to an authentic Himba village. Learn of the characteristic appearance and behaviour of this tribe and the benefits and challenges of western civilization.
- Epupa Falls
- A guided excursion to Epupa Falls can be arranged. The best time to visit is just after the rains when the spray is most noticeable.
- Over 240 species of bird have been observed and recorded in the region. Organized boat trips or guided birding walks can be organized.
A tented camp on the banks of the Kunene River close to Epupa Falls and Himba settlements
On the border between Kaokoland and Damaraland this fort was built at the same time as the fort of Namutoni in Etosha
On a hill above the Kunene river, the lodge has tremendous views of the surrounding area and looks towards the Epupa Falls
An excellent base from which to explore the Kaokoland area.
An excellent lodge in a remote location on the banks of the Kunene River, for those interesting in birding, relaxing or river rafting this lodge is an absolute must
In the village of Opuwo, this is a basic tented camp
One of the oldest lodges in the Kaokoland area, from here guest can visit Himba villages and other areas of interest in Kaokoland
Near the tiny settlement of Puros, this luxury lodge offers you the ability to search for the desert adapted elephants
On a hillside overlooking the Kunene River this small intimate camp offers accommodation for a maximum of 14 people.
A comfortable tented camp close to the Epupa falls
This is one of the newer lodges in Opuwo - it has beautiful views over Kaokoland -a real desert oasis
Up-market luxury safari camp on the Kunene River - only reachable by light aircraft
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.