Lodges near the Fish River Canyon - Namibia
The Canon Roadhouse is situated 25kms from Fish River Canyon on the privately owned Gondwana Canyon Park. Self drive tourists have to drive 20kms to the main viewpoint of the canyon itself from here. It is a sister property to both Canyon Village and Canyon Lodge both located closer to the canyon.
The lodge is interestingly decorated with old car parts, found in the region. Old antiques adorn the inside, such as an old gas burning stove with a beaten copper kettle on top. There is a large swimming pool and sun-deck, tucked in between indigenous succulents such as hoodias and aloes, and guests can relax pool-side on a comfortable lazy-lounger.
Guests can enjoy a drink in the noted 'Wheels' bar, a setting for many a tall travellers' tale. There is also a laundry service and Internet connection.
Canyon Roadhouse pride themselves on their delicious food and personalized service, comments many of their guests reiterate. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served in The Canon Roadhouse's restaurant. Breakfast is served buffet-style with a choice of cereals, fruits and a full English breakfast. Fruit juices, coffee and tea are also available.
Lunch and dinner are both served from an 'a la carte' menu. Fresh salads and sandwiches can be ordered for lunch, and the dinner menu has a splendid choice of international-style cuisine.
Accommodation is in 24 Double or Family Rooms.
- Double Rooms: En-suite bathrooms, twin beds, air-conditioning and mosquito nets are standard.
- Family Rooms: Family Rooms can sleep up to 4 persons with facilities similar to the Double Rooms.
A sundowner drive and walks on their unguided sunset trails can be organized at Canyon Roadhouse, a perfect base to explore the wonders of Namibia's Fish River Canyon.
- Morning Hike
- On this 6-km-hike you will experience the very core of Gondwana Canon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon (about 3 hours)
- Hiking Trails
- There is a short hiking trail with views over the mountains. Alternatively you could self-drive out to the Fish River Canyon to try their short walks around the area.
- Canyon Drive
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the three major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. The guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geological history. (about 3 hours)
- Flights over the Fish River Canyon
- This is an adventure not to be missed and could well be the highlight of your holiday - must be booked on arrival
- Horse riding Experience
- the splendour of the canyon landscape on horseback, just like the pioneers over a hundred years ago Sundowner Drives This is the perfect opportunity to introduce you to our private nature reserve and share with you our knowledge about the surrounding landscapes, its geology and Flora. (minimum 4 Persons)
- Sundowner Walks
- Everyone is welcome to join his short excursion. Watch the sun go down with a drink to end off the lovely day.
Fairly basic accommodation at the famous hot-springs near the southern end of the Fish River Canyon
Probably the most popular lodge in the area. Friendly staff, interesting rooms and an emphasis on growing all local produce make for a wonderful stay
The smaller sibling to the Canon Lodge & Village, this fun establishment boasts loads of character
Supposedly laid out like an African village - this tends to be second choice to the Lodge but still offers good value
On the opposite edge of the canyon to all the other lodges, Fish River Lodge offers a unique perspective, excellent service and stunning views
Campsite close to the main viewpoint over the Fish River Canyon
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.