Near Warmbad & the Orange River - Namibia
In the far South of Namibia along the Orange River lies the Sandfontein Nature and Game Reserve, a 76.000 ha large private retreat, home to countless wild animals and pristine nature. This is the third largest largest nature reserve in Namibia and the parks southern border is an impressive 25 kilometers of the Orange River (the border between South Africa & Namibia).
As one would expect from such a large game reserve Sandfontein is home to a vast number (and variety) of animals. The property boasts more than 4,000 animals including leopard, cheetah, kudu, eland, zebra, giraffe, red hartebeest, springbok, impala, ostrich, jackal, aardvark, caracal and baboon. But Sandfontein is particularly proud to provide protection to five black rhino (a very endangered species).
The intimate Sandfontein Lodge is nestled in the heart of the reserve and with only 4 bungalows and 1 suite offers guests an exclusive and personal experience. The 4 thatched bungalows have en-suite bathroom with shower, mini bar, air conditioner, fan & mosquito net. While the 1 thatched suite has an en-suite bathroom, bath, inside/outside shower, mini bar, air conditioner, fan, mosquito net.
There are no scheduled activities at Sandfontein, your schedule is designed according to what you want to do. Activities include horse riding, game & scenic drives, rhino tracking, canoeing on the Orange River, or just relaxing at the lodge's 20 meter swimming pool. Be as active or relaxed as you want.
Sandfontein Lodge frequently offers discounted rates to residents of Southern Africa, these are available on request.
Sandfontein’s dedicated team is determined to arrange your stay to your personal liking.
- Scenic drives with game viewing
- vehicle-based safaris can be undertaken day or night, Sandfontein is very large and therefore the animal density (and frequency of seeing animals) is relatively low
- Canoeing on the Orange River
- Hiking and nature trails
- Horseback trails and safaris
- Sandfontein has 14 trained horses and an experienced guide so you can enjoy the wide open spaces as nature intended.
- Take your rod and line and head to the larger, slow moving pools to catch largemouth yellowfish on the fly.
- Historical tours
- Sandfontein bore witness to numerous battles, including the Battle of Sandfontein on 26th September 1914 which saw 600 South African troops pitched against the occupying German forces in the immediate vicinity of the Sandfontein lodge. The German forces won the day with 50 South Africans dead, 100 injured and some 200 prisoners taken. The battle involved 2 field cannons and 2 machine guns and is the only battle during World War One where the South African forces suffered a resounding defeat at the hands of the much smaller German troops.
- Sandfontein is great for photographers with dramatic landscapes, fauna, flora complimented by ever changing light.
- Because it is remotely located in Namibia (which is the second least densely populated country) light pollution is not a factor at Sandfontein. The night-sky and star-gazing is a staggering experience. In fact, it is so remarkable that scientific teams have made us of the lodge to observe and measure the universe.
- Day trips to nearby towns
- including Warmbad to visit the Warmbad Museum and natural hot-water springs.
- For those with a serious interest in geology, Sandfontein offers diverse formations and rock types, including beryl, amethyst and tantalite deposits on the property.
- Relaxation and breathtaking scenery whilst paddling on the Orange River at a steady pace.
- From Noordoewer
- Drive about 50 km North on the B1. Then turn right on the D213, this is a gravel road. Stay on that road until get to a t-junction. Turn right onto the D 208 and then follow final instructions
- From Karasburg
- Drive on the main road, the B3. At the corner of Bank Windhoek turn left coming from Upington or turn right coming from Windhoek. You can’t miss it! You are now driving out of Karasburg. You will get to a four way crossing, keep going straight southbound towards Warmbad, this is a gravel road. After about 8 km turn right on the D208 now follow final instructions
- Final Instructions
- Stay on the D208 until you turn left to “Gaidip” onto the D292. Stay on that road for about 10 km – careful there are some tricky turns – and after going through a cattle grit and having a large quiver tree on your left, you’ll see a small sign “Sandfontein” as well on your left. Turn left onto small farm pad. Stay on that road; it’ll be another 40 min to the Lodge. You’ll pass through the game fence and then please stay on the most obvious road which makes a slight right turn, you’ll pass by a water hole and then the road keeps going slightly downwards. (Should you come across any black rhino just stop or back off very slowly until it has moved away). It would be good to call the lodge from Noordoewer or Karasburg so hey know you are on your way. There isn’t be any cell phone signal in this area!
Cabana's and permanently erected tents on the banks of the Orange River. This camp also serves as the starting base for several river rafting & canoeing adventures
The owners and management of this new lodge are making a huge effort to make it the best place to stay in the area. New features and activities are frequently added
Nestled in the great valley of the Karas region and situated on the banks of the Orange River, about 50km from the South African / Namibia border post
The Orange River Lodge is situated near Noordoewer on the border between South Africa and Namibia
A small lodge set on the third biggest game reserve in Namibia. Expect tranquility and a very personalised service in a remote environment
Not quite Washington DC! This remote accommodation is basic but extremely popular with those looking for good honest accommodation.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.