Accommodation near Sossusvlei
Lodges near Sossusvlei and Sesriem in Namibia
One of the main highlights of Namibia is the dunes at Sossusvlei, we offer a selection of accommodation in this area. As a general rule the closer to Sossusvlei the more expensive the accommodation, so it is important to strike a balance between cost and distance to the dunes when choosing a lodge. Apart from the campsite at Sesriem and Sossus Dune Lodge all of these establishments are outside of the Namib-Naukluft Park. The park gates at Sesriem (which is 60km / approximately one hours drive from Sossusvlei) are only open between sunrise and sunset so you need to plan your visits to the dunes accordingly.
To make things easier we have categorised lodges around the area as follows:
- Sesriem / Sossusvlei
- In this section we have put lodges whose main reason for existence is so that you can stay there and visit Sossusvlei. Drive times from these lodges to Sesriem are between a few minutes to three quarters of an hour (common sense disclaimer: if you drive slowly it will take you longer).
- Solitaire & Surrounds
- Solitaire is a quaint settlement about 80km north of Sesriem.
- NamibRand Reserve
- South of Sossusvlei is one of the world's largest privately owned nature reserves, but as we all know size is not everything and fortunately NamibRand is also one of the most beautiful places you are ever likely to visit. The establishments on the reserve are best thought of as an addition to a night spent at a lodge closer Sossusvlei, many prefer the setting and activities on NamibRand those at Sossusvlei - but for most first time visitors it is hard to completely miss out on Sossusvlei
- Naukluft, Bullsport and Tsaris Mountains
- These places are fairly distant from Sesriem (often over an hours drive) - but many have something special to offer in their own right and are worth considering if you do not mind a bit of extra driving on the day you visit the dunes.
Offering a choice of rooms or campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both large bus groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
Closest to the dunes - camping only
Brand new luxury camp inside the Namib Park borders
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and private butler
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private verandah's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
This small luxury camp is the latest addition to the Wolwedans Lodge collection. It is situated around 45km south of the other lodges and therefore offers an insight into a different aspect of the NamibRand Nature Reserve
Dunes Camp is the simplest of the establishments on the Namib Rand reserve. Accommodation comes in the form of dome tents each with own bathroom.
Wooden units built on platforms overlooking the NamibRand Reserve. As with all the Wolwedans properties expect some of the best views in Namibia, great food and excellent service
An upmarket extension to the Dunes Lodge
Ever fancied your own house surrounded by nothing but the Namib Desert? This luxurious property gives you just that, and way more
The settlement of Bullsport is marked on nearly every map, however it consists of little more than the guest farm. Great for hiking.
A small, friendly, owner operated rest camp, with individual bungalows & campsites. Great for those wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life
A basic campsite in the Naukluft Mountains
A small private lodge on the banks of the Tsauchab River - an excellent place for walking and enjoying the surrounding scenery
Another excellent place for hiking, in the Tsaris Mountains. As there are many lodges located closer to Sossusvlei than Zebra River Lodge it is often overlooked, but if you want a genuinely warm welcome at a special lodge then the problems of location can easily be overlooked.