Tok Tokkie Hiking Trail
Includes: Hiking in Namibia
The Tok Tokkie Hiking Trail is a 3 day guided desert hike on the NamibRand Nature Reserve. This hiking trail is designed for walkers who prefer to experience the desert at a leisurely pace, with the emphasis being on quality time with your guide, who will take time to explain the intricacies of the desert fauna and flora. The Tok Tokkie is well-known for having a high level of guiding and every effort will be made to ensure that the desert organisms usually not seen whilst driving through the desert, can be closely observed. The terrain offers mountains as well as sandy desert; this provides the opportunity to see the whole desert, not only the dunes.
You will need to make your own way to the start of this hike - most people include this particular hike in their self-drive safari around Namibia. The starting point is close to the dunes at Sossusvlei, so spending a night at one of the nearby lodges is advisable. All you need to bring is your hiking boots, everything else is supplied.
- Enjoy walking at an easy pace, normally not exceeding 10 km a day.
- You only carry your day pack, including a lunch bag, water and your camera equipment.
- Your main luggage will be transported by a back-up vehicle.
- Close up viewing of desert fauna and flora. Learn about this living desert.
- Enjoy simple desert luxury - a hot bucket shower and bush toilet with a view.
- Delicious 3-course meals are served for dinner out in the dunes.
- Walking is in small groups of 2 to 8 people for personal attention and tranquility.
- Larger groups can be catered for on request.
- Ideal for families.
- Perfect for honeymooners and all romantics
These are not the dunes at Sossusvlei, but smaller, vegetated ones that have a unique beauty of their own. A short walk to the overnight stop brings you to the camp, where you can relax with a sundowner, whilst enjoying the magnificent scenery and to get used to that 'desert feeling.'
Meals: Lunch and Dinner.
Camping: Under the stars.
Meals: Breakfast, Packed Lunch and Dinner
Accommodation: Under the stars.
Meals: Breakfast and Lunch
- Group Size
- 2-8 to ensure personal attention. Bigger groups can be accommodated on request
- 1.Please arrive by 14h00. Please plan enough time for the drive so that you do not have to rush.
2. The trail starts with a short scenic drive (approx. 0.5 hours) which takes you to the spot where you start your walk. Please arrive in time because once the group has left we cannot guarantee your transfer. Extra transfers will be charged at the current rate.
3. Your guide on the Tok Tokkie Trail will speak English.
4. Your personal day pack should not weigh more than 10 kg. Keep camera equipment light; a telephoto lens for animals and birds, and a wide angle for scenery are recommended.
5. · Whilst walking there are no facilities to charge batteries for video cameras so be sure to have sufficient batteries available.
6. You will sleep under the stars on stretcher beds in a bedroll. Under special circumstances (e. g. unfavourable weather, etc.) tents are provided, this is at Tok Tokkie Trail’s discretion.
7. Bathroom facilities at the overnight camps comprise an open air toilet and bucket shower with vista as well as a hand basin.
8. Fresh water for drinking will be available at the lunch spot and overnight camps.
9. If you have any special dietary requirements please inform us in advance so that the necessary planning may be done to ensure that you have an enjoyable walk.
10. Rates include all meals as stated in the itinerary, the services of a guide and “back-up” crew as well as the group transfer to the starting point. Tea, coffee and juice, beer, wine and soft drinks are freely available in the overnight camps.
11. Contact lenses are uncomfortable in the sandy and dry desert. Please wear your glasses instead.
- What to bring
- 1.Curiosity and good humour
2. Camera equipment and binoculars – there are lots of opportunities to take great pictures!
3. Comfortable worn-in walking shoes - NOT new shoes, these will cause great discomfort and spoil your walk
4. Sunglasses, sunscreen (at least factor 30) and insect repellent.
5. All equipment is provided, including a day pack for your personal things
6. Water bottles (at least 2 x 1 litre). You can buy eco-friendly steel bottles at Tok Tokkie Trails.
7. Headlamp (torch) can be useful
- 1. Light and comfortable clothing
2. Comfortable, closed shoes for the evening
3. A hat or cap for sun protection is essential
4. Jacket and pullover for cool evenings, warm clothes in the winter months
- The Trail
- The Tok Tokkie trail is not difficult, but challenging. Fitness and good condition is essential as the trails entail 7 to 8 hours walking. Walking does normally not exceed 10 km a day; the pace is set to suit the group. Your main luggage will be transported by a back-up vehicle; you only have to carry a day pack. As some of the routes lead through rough terrain and over sand dunes it requires well-balanced and secure walking. Please be aware of high temperature fluctuations, which can reach a high of 35°C during the day whilst sometimes plummeting down to -5°C at night, which can cause additional stress to your heart and circulation. We recommend you to prepare yourself for the trail with some fitness training.