oryx Self Drive
Comfortable mid-range Self Drive to Sossusvlei - Namibia
The Oryx 3 day self-drive trip departs from Windhoek with 2 nights at a lodge in the vicinity of Sossusvlei in the Namib Desert - allowing you a full day to explore the dune fields. The accommodation used on this safari is a comfortable mid range lodge. Oryx (gemsbok) are found all over Namibia and have the ability to tolerate arid areas uninhabitable to most other antelope. They feed on grass, flowers, leaves and the fruit of acacias, buffalo-thorn and shepherd's tree.
Sossusvlei is remarkable for its huge red sand dunes and breathtaking scenery. The views from the top are stunning. Colours vary from apricot to orange and from red to maroon, especially at sunrise and sunset, the best times for photography. Desert wildlife includes springbok, oryx and ostrich.
Although it is possible to book this itinerary 'as is', as with all our self drive trips this is entirely customisable. We can add or delete days, change the accommodation used and generally design the tour to suit your individual requirements. Visitors who might prefer a break from driving themselves can arrange a guided safari.
- Day 1: Windhoek - Sossusvlei
- There is no reason to leave Windhoek particularly early today, you have a drive of around 300km's which will take you around 4-5 hours (although the majority of travel will be on unsealed gravel roads). There are several routes to take -however our favourite is via the Spreetshoogte Pass - which offers stunning views from the top of the escarpment over the desert plains below. The pass is so steep that it is only possible to traverse it from top to bottom - so you will need to use one of the other routes on your return journey
Be sure to arrive at your accommodation before nightfall, driving at dark on Namibian roads is not recommended as the country is full of suicidal creatures likely to hop in front of your car at short notice (and some of these are really big - and likely to do more damage to you and your car than to themselves)
Accommodation: Desert Homestead
- Day 2: Sossusvlei
- Wake up early and leave your lodge, heading for the Sesriem entrance gate to the Namib Naukluft Park. This gate only opens at sunrise, so there is no point arriving earlier, but driving the 60km from Sesriem through the dunes towards Sossusvlei while the sun rises is a real pleasure. The first major dune you will encounter goes by the imaginative name of Dune 45 - many people choose to stop and climb this dune but we suggest you continue onwards towards Sossusvlei. Park at the the 2x4 car park (unless you have a 4x4 vehicle this is as far as you can drive), Sossusvlei is a further 4km from here but you are already amongst fairly large dunes. The walk along the dry river bed into Sossusvlei is lovely but for the very unfit or terminally lazy there are 4x4 shuttles from the car park to Sossusvlei.
Deadvlei, so named because it is a large pan with sculptural dead trees, is close by and definitely worth a visit. When you have had enough sand - head back to your vehicle (there really is no shame in taking the shuttle back - the sand is likely to be hot, and the walk less pleasant than the one in the cool of the morning)
On your way back to the lodge stop at the Sesriem Canyon - follow the signs from the Sesriem Campsite.
Accommodation: Desert Homestead
- Day 3: Sossusvlei - Windhoek
- If you are looking for a spectacular way yo end your trip you should consider joining a balloon flight over Sossusvlei this morning. Otherwise after breakfast, pack up and head back to Windhoek. Although not as breathtakingly spectacular as the drive over the Spreetshoogte (there are not many views that are!) the route over the Remhoogte Pass is very scenic.
- All your meals and activities as specified.
A welcome pack including maps and vouchers for the places that you'll be visiting.
See the individual lodges for precise inclusions & exclusions
The Cardboard Box Travel Shop's own Namibia Guide Book
A 24 hour emergency assistance phone number
- Vehicle & Fuel
Park entrance fees (these need to be paid on arrival).
Tips and gratuities (which are optional).
Any meals or activities not specified.
See the individual lodges for detailed inclusions & exclusions.
- Although we have excluded the cost of renting a vehicle from the quoted rate we are happy to advise you on the best possible vehicle and arrange a rental for you. For an idea of what is available have a look at our car hire in Namibia section
3 Days - A self drive trip to the dunes at Sossusvlei
3 Days - Two nights in the coastal town of Swakopmund, this is the ideal get-away for those living or working in Windhoek. Includes a catamaran cruise on the Walvis Lagoon
4 Days - Elephants, rhino, zebra & giraffe are just some of the animals you can expect to see while you are in Etosha
8 Days - Etosha, Swakopmund & the dunes at Sossusvlei are the highlights of this trip
8 Days - Etosha, Erongo Mountains and Sossusvlei
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei
10 Days - Botswana & Namibia combination self drive - includes Etosha Park and a mokoro trip in the Okavango Delta
12 Days - Okonjima Bush Camp, Etosha, Damaraland, Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits all the best Namibia has to offer including Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, elephant tracking, the Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus Vista, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Deserts
24 Days - As you would expect from our longest self drive safari, it visits most of Namibia including Owamboland & Kaokoland - two areas which seldom appear on trips through the country