Namibia Self Drive Safaris
Fly Drives | Namibia
There are many good reason to self drive around Namibia, but it is a good idea to come prepared and that's where we come in. At the Cardboard Box Travel Shop we have years of knowledge regarding what to see, when to see it, Namibian road conditions, accommodation establishments, camping sites, vehicle rental and anything else you may want to know about. We will help you plan your self drive route and will recommend (and book) accommodation in Namibia, organise the rental vehicle you require, and generally take all the hassle out of the planning process. Planning other peoples self drive itineraries is the favourite part of our job; as it gives us an outlet for all the knowledge we have accumulated.
Self drives are sometimes referred to as 'fly drive safaris' - we find this term somewhat misleading as the fly refers to getting to Namibia in a plane and then driving yourself. Anyway whether you prefer to call them fly drive safaris or self drive these are by far the best way of exploring Namibia.
On this site we offer several itinerary suggestions for those wishing to drive themselves around Namibia, these are divided into categories according to the type / price of accommodation they use. These can be booked as a package but we do appreciate that every body is unique and has their own likes and dislikes so what we really like to do is design an itinerary tailored to our clients needs; the more you tell us about your interests and requirements the better we are able to match you with the perfect Namibian self-drive experience. Please email us about your trip and one of our travel consultants will get back to you with an itinerary.
3 Days - A short visit to the sand dunes at Sossusvlei
3 Days - Get away to Swakopmund on the coast - includes sandboarding on the Namib Dunes as well as a dolphin cruise
4 Days - A game viewing trip to the famous Etosha National Park
8 Days - Combines a visit to Etosha National Park, with some time at Swakopmund and then the dunes at Sossusvlei
9 Days - Southern Namibia: Fish River, Luderitz, Sossusvlei with some self catering accommodation.
10 Days - The classic northern and central Namibia trip. Includes Waterberg Plateau, Etosha National Park, rock art in Damaraland, Cape Cross & Swakopmund and ends with two night near the dunes at Sossusvlei.
10 Days - A combination of Namibia & Botswana. Highlights include game viewing in the Etosha Park & a trip in a traditional dug out canoe in the Okavango Delta Panhandle.
14 Days - Two weeks worth of travel allow you to visit everything that is included in the Camelthorn Self Drive and add the vast expanses of southern Namibia. Additional stops include Luderitz, the Fish River Canyon and a night in the Kalahari Desert
20 Days - This includes Waterberg, Etosha, a visit to the densely populated Owamboland region on the Angolan border, Kaokoland and the nomadic Himba People, rock art and desert elephants in Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Luderitz, the Fish River and Kalahari.
20 Days - A circular route that includes Sossusvlei, the highlights of Northern Namibia, the Zambezi region and Chobe, Vic Falls and the Okavango Delta in Botswana
3 Days - A self drive trip to the dunes at Sossusvlei
3 Days - Two nights in the coastal town of Swakopmund, this is the ideal get-away for those living or working in Windhoek. Includes a catamaran cruise on the Walvis Lagoon
4 Days - Elephants, rhino, zebra & giraffe are just some of the animals you can expect to see while you are in Etosha
8 Days - Etosha, Swakopmund & the dunes at Sossusvlei are the highlights of this trip
8 Days - Etosha, Erongo Mountains and Sossusvlei
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei
10 Days - Botswana & Namibia combination self drive - includes Etosha Park and a mokoro trip in the Okavango Delta
12 Days - Okonjima Bush Camp, Etosha, Damaraland, Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits all the best Namibia has to offer including Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, elephant tracking, the Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus Vista, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Deserts
21 Days - Visits the highlights of Central and Northern Namibia, the Zambezi region (formerly Caprivi), Vic Falls & the Okavango Delta in Botswana
24 Days - As you would expect from our longest self drive safari, it visits most of Namibia including Owamboland & Kaokoland - two areas which seldom appear on trips through the country
3 Days - A Sossusvlei trip including guided nature drives & visits to the dunes as well as a balloon safari
3 Days - NamibRand Nature Reserve is one of the most beautiful desert areas in Namibia - this fully inclusive trip visits this scenic area
3 Days - Swakopmund on the Namibian coast is the destination of this self drive tour
4 Days - Etosha & Ongava reserve offer excellent wildlife viewing
12 Days - Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Damaraland, Etosha & Ongava Reserves, Okonjima
3 Days - Visits Sesriem & Sossusvlei in the Namib Desert
4 Days - Game viewing in Etosha National Park
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Lüderitz, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits Namibia, Vic Falls & Botswana
20 Days - By using a range of accommodation types and styles this self drive manages to keep costs down while still visiting spectacular areas of the country.
14 Days - This spectacular self-drive itinerary, created especially for honeymooners, is the ultimate experience that Namibia has to offer in terms of luxury and exclusivity.
14 Days - Still staying in top quality accommodation the Tourmaline is a more realistic itinerary for those on a more upper mid-range budget.
14 Days - A good value for money mid range honeymoon self drive, visiting the best Namibia has to offer
9 Days - Etohsa Park & the dunes of the Namib Desert are the two main attractions on this trip
- Can I rent my car elsewhere and book just the Accommodation/Tour with you?
- Yes, although we can offer excellent rates for our car inclusive packages, we understand that you may already have a preferred car rental agency that you enjoy working with.
- Can I customise my trip or do I have to follow your itineraries?
- Our Staff are here to help you plan the vacation that will work for you. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for on our web site, just let us know and we will customise a trip that's specifically tailored to your interests, schedule, and budget. Even when your appointed travel consultant has sent you a suggested itinerary and prices, feel free to keep on coming back to your advisor with changes until you are happy with your final itinerary.
- What about support while I am travelling?
- We are based in Namibia and you will be able to contact us and speak to your travel consultant about any matters that arise during your trip. We have an after hours / weekend support number so there is always someone to offer assistance
- Is self driving in Namibia Safe?
- Yes, the biggest danger is that of you crashing the vehicle. Chances are you will be travelling on a lot of unsealed gravel roads, for the inexperienced these can pose a bit of a challenge - the thing to remember is to drive slowly and you will be absolutely fine
- Why do most of the itineraries start / end in Windhoek?
- The majority of our clients arrive and depart Namibia via the Windhoek International Airport so it makes sense we start our itineraries there. Obviously we can custom design itineraries to start and end absolutely anywhere
- What about Neighbouring countries
- We specialise in Namibia and it is what we know best. We do however realise that many of our clients would like to add short trips to the Okavango or Victoria Falls to their holidays and are well placed to do this.